New Cube 36x36x18

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a cube 36x30x30, the extra six inches are for the overflow that is along the back wall. For the return I use to have a mag12 but was unhappy with the heat production. I have since switched to a tunze 6100 on an osciwave and couldn't be happier. I have seen my tank with the overflow in the center and it has the advantage of being able to view from all sides, whereas mine is only three. On the other hand, my aquascaping is such that I have a school of blue chromis and they never fight. There are also no dead zones in the tank and the lighting is made easier.

I mounted my GARF rocks on PVC legs to keep them above my DSB. They have been great and cover with coraline in no time. this helps to improve flow...

em805,

May I ask where you purchased your tank and how much? I am planning for a new tank and was considering a 36x36 layout such as yours but shipping and handling is outrageous for where I am, Seattle. I'm looking forward to seeing how your tank comes out

thats my 36x36x21 and the plumbing is sorta in the pictures. I have dolphin ampmaster pump running the closed loop that puts out about 6500 gph and a mag putting 600 in from the sump and I still think it could use more flow.

Trying to light a 36x36 is difficult in my opinion, I currently have 2 250 HQI DEs and a 400 SE to cover the whole tank.

O, custom at envisionacrylics.com, its a place located in north portland so no sales tax or shipping charges if you pick it up. It wasn'd dirt cheap or anything though but the quality of the tank is awsome, really good joints.

it looks like you may have gone for the backwards barreling effect that Paul at OM prescribes - how do you like it? any complaints? If you had to do it differently, would you do anything different?

Oh.. and congrats on the baby :D

These responses are way late, I appologize... I love the effect, the only thing I would do differently is perhaps go with a smaller main pump--the power on my current pump is vicious :)!

em805,

May I ask where you purchased your tank and how much? I am planning for a new tank and was considering a 36x36 layout such as yours but shipping and handling is outrageous for where I am, Seattle. I'm looking forward to seeing how your tank comes out

This is were I purchased my tank, the process was slow due to a language barrier on their side but, you can't beat the price! $810 for my tank using 3/4" acrylic all the way!

http://www.worldmarinesystems.com/index.html

Trying to light a 36x36 is difficult in my opinion, I currently have 2 250 HQI DEs and a 400 SE to cover the whole tank.

I agree, I have relocated my lights about 3 times since I set it up--I even tried using 1 Luminarc III. I finally found a set-up I liked with 2 pendants, I'll post pictures later on this week.

I agree, I have relocated my lights about 3 times since I set it up--I even tried using 1 Luminarc III. I finally found a set-up I liked with 2 pendants, I'll post pictures later on this week.

what size pump are you using on your closed loop again also do you think there is too much flow? I was thinking about a Sequnce reeflo dart 3600gph on a 4way om or should I go with the Barracuda 4800gph. Thanks LMK. Oh yeah I got disturbedreefers tank now so the same as yours just 4'' taller.

what size pump are you using on your closed loop again also do you think there is too much flow? I was thinking about a Sequnce reeflo dart 3600gph on a 4way om or should I go with the Barracuda 4800gph. Thanks LMK. Oh yeah I got disturbedreefers tank now so the same as yours just 4'' taller.

I'm using a Sequence 1000 that puts out 5000gpH... All I can say is that I've had to tune the flow down a few notches using the valves I installed on each of the closed loop lines due to the flow being so strong it actually irritated any sps in its flow path (on the opposite side of the tank). However, I can't complain about dead spots because there is none. My advise is that if you are going to go with more flow make sure you install shut-off valves for flow control on each line. In my opinion, it is better to have more flow then you need and regulated via a valve than having to buy another pump later and having to install it on a tank that is already set-up--I have no experience with the 3600 reeflo but I do see alot of ppl using them adding additional pumps later on...

Also, I am definatly glad I went with a 20" deep tank vs. taller because it makes maintenance so much easier. I don't think I ever want a deeper tank, for sure the depth of the tank is of the things I've enjoyed the most.

I hear ya on that I know 24'' is a little tall for me because I use to have a 120g 4'x2'x2' but I got a good deal on the set up so why not. Do you thing the sequence baracuda would be good for it then it is I beleive 4200gph or 4800gph. thanks for the reply.

I hear ya on that I know 24'' is a little tall for me because I use to have a 120g 4'x2'x2' but I got a good deal on the set up so why not. Do you thing the sequence baracuda would be good for it then it is I beleive 4200gph or 4800gph. thanks for the reply.

If your going SPS tank then the genaral consensus is the more flow the better... I have no experience with the models you mentioned so I would hate to stear you in the wrong direction. Like I said earlier, in my opinion if you can set-up your closed loop to control the flow (increase/decrease) then why not go more gph. Otherwise, if you plan on mixed reef then you will probably be ok with the 3600. I tried growing polyps in my tank and they really don't like so much flow :), I have to place them behind a rock somewhere and I really don't have that many slow flow spots.

If your going SPS tank then the genaral consensus is the more flow the better... I have no experience with the models you mentioned so I would hate to stear you in the wrong direction. Like I said earlier, in my opinion if you can set-up your closed loop to control the flow (increase/decrease) then why not go more gph. Otherwise, if you plan on mixed reef then you will probably be ok with the 3600. I tried growing polyps in my tank and they really don't like so much flow :), I have to place them behind a rock somewhere and I really don't have that many slow flow spots.

How is the noise on the sequence 1000? Is the tank in your living room? That is one place I'm considering that or my spare room/office.

How is the noise on the sequence 1000? Is the tank in your living room? That is one place I'm considering that or my spare room/office.

So glad you asked about the noise! The wife almost threw my tank out, that's how bad the noise was :p. My tank is in my living room and it's were we usually watch TV. I had to buy noise reduction material, forget what it's called it's been a while but, it's about 1/2 thick and it looks like it's a really dense rubber. I'll have to dig up a link to where I got it if you need it. Anyway, after I installed the matterial around the back of the tank--it was extremely dificult to do after my tank was set-up and running, I wish I had someone tell me to do it before then so I could of done a much better job. After installing the material around the pump the noise level is hardly noticeable!

Needless to say, if you are planing on using a big pump then design some kind of noise box that gives you easy access to the pump when you need it but, insulates the noise.

So glad you asked about the noise! The wife almost threw my tank out, that's how bad the noise was :p. My tank is in my living room and it's were we usually watch TV. I had to buy noise reduction material, forget what it's called it's been a while but, it's about 1/2 thick and it looks like it's a really dense rubber. I'll have to dig up a link to where I got it if you need it. Anyway, after I installed the matterial around the back of the tank--it was extremely dificult to do after my tank was set-up and running, I wish I had someone tell me to do it before then so I could of done a much better job. After installing the material around the pump the noise level is hardly noticeable!

Needless to say, if you are planing on using a big pump then design some kind of noise box that gives you easy access to the pump when you need it but, insulates the noise.

Yes please if you can get me the info on what you used to reduce the noise from the pump my fiance will appreciate me a whole lot. I havn't set up the tank yet and also what type of housing would you consider for the pump? Do you have a pic of your setup?

Yes please if you can get me the info on what you used to reduce the noise from the pump my fiance will appreciate me a whole lot. I havn't set up the tank yet and also what type of housing would you consider for the pump? Do you have a pic of your setup?

I'll get you a link to the material when I get home from work... However, like I mentioned on my last post what I did to my set-up was after the tank was running and I wouldn't recommend doing it. In other words, you will have to design your own casing because I looked around and there wasn't an existing "manufactured" product to do what I needed it to do, so I had to improvise. Your goal should probably be to reduce, if not eliminate, the noise from the pump while still giving you easy access to the pump and avoiding ventillation problems for the pump motor.

Sorry I can't give you a design to use but the truth is I don't have one that is very well thought out yet. I will try an post pictures of what I did (in desperation) later on, just promise not to laugh :).

I'll get you a link to the material when I get home from work... However, like I mentioned on my last post what I did to my set-up was after the tank was running and I wouldn't recommend doing it. In other words, you will have to design your own casing because I looked around and there wasn't an existing "manufactured" product to do what I needed it to do, so I had to improvise. Your goal should probably be to reduce, if not eliminate, the noise from the pump while still giving you easy access to the pump and avoiding ventillation problems for the pump motor.

Sorry I can't give you a design to use but the truth is I don't have one that is very well thought out yet. I will try an post pictures of what I did (in desperation) later on, just promise not to laugh :).

Don't worry I won't laugh:lol::lol:. It probaly looks better than what I could do on your worst day lol. Thanks for the info. So the rubber stuff did you just put it in the back side of the stand or all around it?

Back