New Cube 36x36x18

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Roscoe come hear my set up.. It will blow the skin off your corals. I would'nt go any bigger. This was on your tank when todd had it. Your more than welcome to come check it out and get some ID
PS your going BB or the sand will be toast.

Roscoe come hear my set up.. It will blow the skin off your corals. I would'nt go any bigger. This was on your tank when todd had it. Your more than welcome to come check it out and get some ID
PS your going BB or the sand will be toast.

Of cousre bare bottom.

Here you go, here is the best shots I could get of what I did with the noise barrier:

Left side-

009.jpg

Right Side-

010.jpg

Remember i did this when the tank was already set-up and working against a corner with this very heavy material wasn't easy. I just screwed the material directly onto the tank fram and cut out a top and bottom piece (top piece was left unattached for easy access to plumbing) and bottom piece (most difficult were tied on using cable ties)--the pump area is surrounded by the material. Please don't wait til your tank is set-up to design something for yours and the results will be so much better.

Man thats nice. What is on the back of your glass ( nice ).
PS sorry about that. I just realized this was'nt roscoe's thread :confused::oops::oops:

Last edited:
Man thats nice. What is on the back of your glass ( nice ).
PS sorry about that. I just realized this was'nt roscoe's thread :confused::oops::oops:

Thanks for the compliment :). I used Handifoam to sculpt the background. You can kind of see what I did with it on page 1 :), I am really glad I did it because it adds that extra realistic look to it vs. looking at a smooth plastic background. As you can see there is not much difference between the real LR and the background in terms of color.

Thanks for the compliment :). I used Handifoam to sculpt the background. You can kind of see what I did with it on page 1 :), I am really glad I did it because it adds that extra realistic look to it vs. looking at a smooth plastic background. As you can see there is not much difference between the real LR and the background in terms of color.

Indeed that looks very nice. I might want to do something like that! Oh yeah don't mind that Salmonslyer guy he is always confused heck you can't tell whether he's drunk or not:badgrin::lol::D J/K . Hes a great guy. Very nice tank though. So where did you put that foam stuff I did'nt see it in the pics.

Where did you get that Handifoam? Oh yeah I was talking about the sound proof foam thingy to insulate the noise from the pump.

Where did you get that Handifoam? Oh yeah I was talking about the sound proof foam thingy to insulate the noise from the pump.

Lol, now I'm confused :p! The Handifoam is the stuff I used for the background of my tank (inside) and I got that stuff from Dr. Fosters & Smith online. However, I found out my local hardware store carried the same stuff (just different brand) for less.

This is the Handifoam http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...lpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=handifoam&Np=1:

DSC01833.jpg

The sound barrier is the thick black material you can see covering my plumbing behind the tank. I simply draped it around the plumbing and screwed it directly onto the frame of the tank (you can see the screws in this next pic) and I got that from here:

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/quiet-barrier.html

009.jpg

There is another picture a few posts up of the sound barrier you can reference. Like I said before you should be able to do 10x better on your tank since you have full access to the back of the tank. Trust me it was a nightmare working with this material--in a corner--after the tank is full of water.

Last edited:
O ok I see it now Yeah I have not set up the tank yet so I will do that b4 I set it up. thanks again for all your help! That hadifoam do you know what the hardware store sales it under brand ect.

O ok I see it now Yeah I have not set up the tank yet so I will do that b4 I set it up. thanks again for all your help! That hadifoam do you know what the hardware store sales it under brand ect.

You're welcome! They sell it at my local OSH it's called Touch'nFoam, exterior filler-adhesive--says on the can it is fish and plant safe plus they have it in black for $2 per can less than F&S & no shipping.

Someone else on another thread said that home depot sells some stuff called "Great Stuff" but, I don't know anything about that product or if it is available in black.

Hey do you have a thread going for your tank? I'd like to see what you come up with for a "noise box" and what you end up doing with your background.

You're welcome! They sell it at my local OSH it's called Touch'nFoam, exterior filler-adhesive--says on the can it is fish and plant safe plus they have it in black for $2 per can less than F&S & no shipping.

Someone else on another thread said that home depot sells some stuff called "Great Stuff" but, I don't know anything about that product or if it is available in black.

Hey do you have a thread going for your tank? I'd like to see what you come up with for a "noise box" and what you end up doing with your background.

No not yet I am just trying to come up with all my equipment 1st like skimmer CL pump ect. and whether or not I should drill a hole in my floor so I can have the pump in my crawl space thus eliminating the need for the sound proof padding, once I get everything together I will do a build thread on it.

A fellow reefer wanted to try out his new camera on my tank and here are the results :):

GARF Bonsai
Bansai.jpg

Bansai2.jpg

Atlantis Aquarium Unknown ?? Hey Ming let me know what it is if you see this
PurpleAcro.jpg

Purple Monster
PurpleMonster.jpg

Rainbow Monti
RainbowMonti.jpg

Grapejuice Acro/LE Pink Lemonade
UnknownAcro.jpg

LE Idaho Grape
IdahoGrape.jpg

LE Montipora palawanensis/Dark orang cap
OrangeCap.jpg

Last edited:
any chance of some updated pics of the full setup...................I am going to be checking out paintbalaguy's 36X36X20 this week and I have been trying to research large cube tank setups.

Thanks!

Back