New house, new baby and new tank...Dailydriven911's 34g Cube!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dailydriven911

sps addict
Well after a 3 year vacation from the hobby I'm back with a new tank build...it's going to be a slow build this time around as it should be right? :biggrin1: Anyway we just moved into a new house so I'm trying to figure out the best location for the tank. We have a den downstairs that will eventually be an office so I'm torn between here and the living area. I guess I'll let my wife decide that one...:) So on to the important stuff...

The Tank (Will be here Monday): The updated Current Solana high clarity 20"x20"x20" cube tank. This is a tank only no chambers to deal with and more space for corals and fish! :)
The Stand: I contacted Don of Don Wacker Woodworks one of the RF supporters to build the stand. I wanted an Elos style so I chose a similar look to some of the stands he builds for one of his customers. It will be white with a dark walnut door. When the door closes, it stays flush with the tank just like the Elos tanks. Pictures to come as it's being worked on as I speak.:smile:
The Lighting: Still undecided with this one...I want to do LED's but I'm torn between the AI Sol Nano fixture and the (18") Ecoxotic Panorama Pro. The AI fixture is white which would look great with the white stand, but I love the modular aspect of the Ecoxotic.
The Flow: Easy choice...Vortech MP-10ES
The Sump: This will be either a simple sump (5g aga) or something a bit nicer like a rimless glass 15"x15"x15" cube or similar. It will have a skimmer section, baffles, refugium and return section. I might decide to plumb from the garage so I can do a larger sump/refugium will see.
The Skimmer: Going with a cone style maybe the BM NAC3.5 or SWC mini or SC65 on Ebay that's only $80 shipped. Has great reviews on RC.
The Overflow/Plumbing: Still need to come up with something here...input appreciated! Herbie method corner style overflow most likely.
The Controller: Most likely the RK with DC4 or Aqua Controller Jr.

This is just the beginning of a long tank build! I hope to have things running around July sometime. Please share your ideas as I'm going to really plan this one out from top to bottom w/o cutting any corners. This will hopefully be a tank I'll actually keep around for awhile. I'm going for a modern look and want to use new technology with this build while also staying within a reasonable budget. :wink:

Thanks for looking! Pics to follow...here is a link to my old Solana build http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f70/im-back-34g-solana-rimless-cube-31656/

Last edited:
Here is the stand just about ready for a white-out! Thanks Don!

tank_stand3.jpg

tank_stand1.jpg

tank_stand2.jpg

Attachments

• tank_stand1.jpg
    tank_stand1.jpg
    34.6 KB
  • tank_stand2.jpg
    tank_stand2.jpg
    29.5 KB
  • tank_stand3.jpg
    tank_stand3.jpg
    29.9 KB
Last edited:
I will tell you that you will Love the Solana. Congrats on the new life that you now have!!!! That stand you have will look Amazing for sure. I understand about the lighting. I have a NEP T5 and I want to do LED. Still in DIY mode for me:)

MP10 for Sure.
ATO. For sure.
DJ power strip. Makes things easy!!

I will SUbscribe to your thread and watch it come Alive..:)

Last edited:
Oops I forgot about the ATO (Elos or Tunze) and DJ power strips are great I had one on my 40b build awhile back. Thanks for the reminder! I used to have a Solana and was going to go that route again by picking up a used one on the forums. I saw the new Solana on MD and ordered it while it was on sale...:)

I will tell you that you will Love the Solana. Congrats on the new life that you now have!!!! That stand you have will look Amazing for sure. I understand about the lighting. I have a NEP T5 and I want to do LED. Still in DIY mode for me:)

MP10 for Sure.
ATO. For sure.
DJ power strip. Makes things easy!!

I will SUbscribe to your thread and watch it come Alive..:)

I dont think we have ever met, but if you would like to, you could view my set up and maybe get some ideas. I could show you some things I would do differently if I were to set up a new one:)

Any ideas on how I can do a corner overflow much like the Marineland DD tanks? I want to do a Herbie method if possible...:) Any input is appreciated!

Any ideas on how I can do a corner overflow much like the Marineland DD tanks? I want to do a Herbie method if possible...:) Any input is appreciated!
Cut one piece for a larger flat faced corner overflow or two for a smaller corner box. Acrylic cement or silicone depending on materials. Acrylic can be easily cut with a table saw. Can google for many diagrams and even detailed instructions

Mike, I really want a curved overflow that I can place in the corner of the tank. Can I just heat up the acrylic and bend around a mold?

Absolutamundo! There are downsides to tall overflows though. I have been back in a 180 for a couple years now. Today had to induce overflow labor. Saw my purple firefish which is many years old (rare for me) in one of the corner overflows. Added a filter sock and took the pipe out and chased it down the canal. It looks not much worse for wear...

Though flood prevention is a pain, I don't have any problems with hang-ons. I like coast to coast too. Currently have the standard dual Aquen corner that you are talking about.

I just skimmed through (I'll have to go back and spend some more time when I get the time) but all the matching powermatic equipment caught my eye. Nice shop! Nice build. Looking forward to watching the progress.

Thanks! However I can't take the credit because the stand is being built by Don of Don Wacker Woodworks. That is his shop I'm just using the pics he sent me and attaching to my thread. :)

I just skimmed through (I'll have to go back and spend some more time when I get the time) but all the matching powermatic equipment caught my eye. Nice shop! Nice build. Looking forward to watching the progress.

Back