New house, new baby and new tank...Dailydriven911's 34g Cube!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow those are some terrible pictures, sorry about that they looked alot better on my phone.

Don

Here is the stand in it's current state courtesy of Don Wacker Woodworks...Should be ready this Friday!

425771be-3f9c-3839.jpg

Last edited:
Kessil is a good choice. I think you'll be happy with it.
Alot of people have also been switching from the Kessil A150 to the A350W's. They are more expensive, but allow for dimming and tuning of the color somewhat although its more a choice of blues...
As far as the overflow goes...

Is this tank drilled already or is it something you're going to have do on your own/have done?
If you're going to do it, or have it done, I would look hard at something other than a corner overflow. You could easily do a small box up by the water line which would leave you with more real estate inside the tank than a corner overflow box would. I'm not talking about a HOB box type model, but drilling the tank and having a small box up top. You'll have less tank space dedicated to something you cant really do anything with.

Hope that makes sense.....

Nick

Kessil is a good choice. I think you'll be happy with it.
Alot of people have also been switching from the Kessil A150 to the A350W's. They are more expensive, but allow for dimming and tuning of the color somewhat although its more a choice of blues...
As far as the overflow goes...

Is this tank drilled already or is it something you're going to have do on your own/have done?

If you're going to do it, or have it done, I would look hard at something other than a corner overflow. You could easily do a small box up by the water line which would leave you with more real estate inside the tank than a corner overflow box would. I'm not talking about a HOB box type model, but drilling the tank and having a small box up top. You'll have less tank space dedicated to something you cant really do anything with.

Hope that makes sense.....

Nick

I really want the A350 but I don't get the dawn/dusk control with either the 150 or 350. :( I like the ability to dim and control colors though but don't want to manually do that every night and morning. So I figure I can save some cash and go with the a150 for now. The other fixture I like is the Ecoxotic Panorama Pro as I have control over color and can have the dawn/dusk effect controlled on the RK. I'm going back and forth on these two setups but I'll be ordering a bunch of stuff today so I need to make my decision here soon lol.

As far as the overflow you're absolutely right I think I'll just go with the glass holes nano kit. That way I can drill the tank up higher instead of on the bottom of the tank. Thanks for all your good input! ;)

I am really liking your choice for your lighting. I have been planning and researching a DIY led light build for my tank. I think for the price of supplies and the time and effort it would take that I will be going with the Kessel myself.
How will you mount yours? Hang it or attach it to your stand somehow? I like to be able to controll my lighting myself as well, however, I can make a small sacrifice:)

Will you post what you find and where for me please? I will make it really easy on myself and let you do the shopping and research and I will just follow you when you buy it!! Lol.
I just put a PAR38 on my new 8 gallon that I have been setting up and it has a remote controll to dim and change intensity. Is that how the Kessel works to?
That stand looks great! You have also inspired me to start planning a new stand for mine. I will be putting tile or some kind of covering on my next stand. Water tends to drip down the sides sometimes and after a few years the stand top does start to get water damage .i could just replace the top and cover mine, but if I am going to break down the tank that far to fix the stand, I would rather just replace it.

Thanks for the updates and keep me posted on your lighting choice and store you choose. :)

I am really liking your choice for your lighting. I have been planning and researching a DIY led light build for my tank. I think for the price of supplies and the time and effort it would take that I will be going with the Kessel myself.
How will you mount yours? Hang it or attach it to your stand somehow? I like to be able to controll my lighting myself as well, however, I can make a small sacrifice:)

Will you post what you find and where for me please? I will make it really easy on myself and let you do the shopping and research and I will just follow you when you buy it!! Lol.
I just put a PAR38 on my new 8 gallon that I have been setting up and it has a remote controll to dim and change intensity. Is that how the Kessel works to?
That stand looks great! You have also inspired me to start planning a new stand for mine. I will be putting tile or some kind of covering on my next stand. Water tends to drip down the sides sometimes and after a few years the stand top does start to get water damage .i could just replace the top and cover mine, but if I am going to break down the tank that far to fix the stand, I would rather just replace it.

Thanks for the updates and keep me posted on your lighting choice and store you choose. :)

I'm so torn on lighting I decided to hold off until I can do some more research...I love the Kessil but want more flexibility and control. I'm now considering the AI nano as I have control, flexibility and it looks great! It would go really nice with my white stand. I'll keep you updated on my choice. :)

Here's what's on order and s/b here next week...:)

1. MP10es
2. Reefkeeper Lite with sl1 expansion, ph and temp probe
3. Digital Aquatics float switch for RKL to control ATO
4. Toms Aqua-lifter for ATO.

Just need to figure out my sump design and layout within the stand, research lighting and narrow down a skimmer. Then I'll tackle the overflow, drilling the tank, and aquascaping the tank! Still awhile before it gets wet though...:)

Placed another order with Premium Aquatics and picked up an Eshopps RS-75 sump, Eshopps 4' return hose, added a return bulkhead to sump and a Marineland Maxijet 1800 premium utility pump. 10% off Memorial Day sales couldn't come at a better time! :)

That stand looks great! You have also inspired me to start planning a new stand for mine. I will be putting tile or some kind of covering on my next stand. Water tends to drip down the sides sometimes and after a few years the stand top does start to get water damage .i could just replace the top and cover mine, but if I am going to break down the tank that far to fix the stand, I
would rather just replace it.

So after much thought in the end I chose the Kessil. Was able to save $40 on the A350 so I couldn't pass it up. Only the A350 is controllable. The A150 is not unfortunately :(. I'm going to mount mine high above the tank at least 20" or so from the celing. Comes with a mount on top. The one I ordered is for deeper tanks and it will give me a good deal of spread being higher. There is a video I saw on YouTube of the A350 and it looks amazing! Similar to a metal halide and more natural looking than most of the
LEDs on the market. Should be here next week sometime. Not sure on PAR but I read a comment on ReefBuilders and someone said 18" below waterline Par was 225 and 475 6" below waterline. That's for the 350 though.

So after much thought in the end I chose the Kessil. Was able to save $40 on the A350 so I couldn't pass it up. Only the A350 is controllable. The A150 is not unfortunately :(. I'm going to mount mine high above the tank at least 20" or so from the celing. Comes with a mount on top. The one I ordered is for deeper tanks and it will give me a good deal of spread being higher. There is a video I saw on YouTube of the A350 and it looks amazing! Similar to a metal halide and more natural looking than most of the
LEDs on the market. Should be here next week sometime. Not sure on PAR but I read a comment on ReefBuilders and someone said 18" below waterline Par was 225 and 475 6" below waterline. That's for the 350 though.

Kessil A350 & A350w LED: two channels of color control, 92 watts for $399
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Wow, it's funny that is what you decided to buy. After replying to your thread yesterday I just looked a Fosters & Smith and Marine Depot. I have this sitting in my cart but didn't pull the trigger because they don't have a Gooseneck for it in stock. I just threw it in my cart at Salty's and I couldn't find if they even sold them or not. I want to use the gooseneck and mount it from the Back of the tank. Do you see if they do or not?

This is a Great choice I think. I hope it is. I need to pull the trigger soon. My bulbs are done. I would like to be angle to get it at the same place and avoid another shipping charge. There is a few other things I need and want so 1 stop shopping would be best..:)

Wow, it's funny that is what you decided to buy. After replying to your thread yesterday I just looked a Fosters & Smith and Marine Depot. I have this sitting in my cart but didn't pull the trigger because they don't have a Gooseneck for it in stock. I just threw it in my cart at Salty's and I couldn't find if they even sold them or not. I want to use the gooseneck and mount it from the Back of the tank. Do you see if they do or not?

This is a Great choice I think. I hope it is. I need to pull the trigger soon. My bulbs are done. I would like to be angle to get it at the same place and avoid another shipping charge. There is a few other things I need and want so 1 stop shopping would be best..:)

It looks like a great light. Most talk I'm hearing is it's much like a m/h and the shimmer looks better than most other leds. A more natural look instead of a disco-ball effect. I wish they had a controller available with it much like the AI and other units have. At least I can control the color and dimmer giving me the color I'm looking for. Let me know if you end up getting it. :)

Sorry for all the posts but for some reason I can't control my excitement with this build...just ordered the gl*******s.com 300 gph overflow kit and return kit. It's only 5 1/4"l x 2"w x 4 1/2"h. Comes with everything I need to get started. Has a 1" drain and the return kit is a 3/4" return. Looks like I have everything I need to get this build started minus the skimmer. Skimmy if you're reading this what do you recommend? I have a 10"x10" skimmer section to work with. Thanks!

Looks like your ready to get started!! Thanks for the post regarding the lighting. I made the same choice and was able to save the 10% on my whole order. I have a few other things coming with it as well. Now , it's just the waiting games on shipping.

Back