New LED's released

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yep, I've read about those a little. As I understand them, they fit into a regular light bulb socket and each unit is completely self contained in each bulb fixture. I believe many people are using track lighting method, mounting a couple of tracks and then adding as many fixtures as they need. IIRC, you cannot use these bulbs on a dimmer though.

Rob

Yep, I've read about those a little. As I understand them, they fit into a regular light bulb socket and each unit is completely self contained in each bulb fixture. I believe many people are using track lighting method, mounting a couple of tracks and then adding as many fixtures as they need. IIRC, you cannot use these bulbs on a dimmer though.

Rob

I haven't heard anything about the lack of dimmability all though my understanding is that yes they do just go into regular bulb sockets. Which is really nice and gives allot of versatility.

thatguy559: Like I said I could see these being very beneficial for odd size setups. For instance on my 3' tank there aren't really any LED fixtures available that would be very feasable for my tank. These though I could start out with 3-4 and see how I like them and increase or decrease as I see fit.

Tom

I noticed them at Lowes last weekend. They were like $40-$50 if I remember correctly. I think they only had warm white.

Those are a very different LED. I dont think those have near the power that these do from what I've seen.

Tom

It looks the same to me: http://www.lowes.com/pd_314145-75774-PAR38/HP/LED_0_?productId=3197187&Ntt=led&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=led

16-Watt 7-LED PAR38 Reflector Bulb

Long life lamps last up to 30000 hours.
LED lamps use very little energy and are more efficient than incandescent, halogen, or compact fluorescent lamps.
High-power LED's are true replacement performance lamps for distance and close-range use.
High-Power LED's produce soft white light.

Last edited:
well I maybe mistaken then. All though those appear to either have less efficient LED's or they use a higher output LED as they are 16w for 7 LED's where as these sunbrite's consume just over 1w per LED.

Tom

I don't know either. There is a build thread on another site where a guy is using them (the Par38 lights). It will be interesting to see how well they perform.

PA has a brand of these LEDs for reef tanks available, although considerably more than $50/each. 7 LED but 21W.

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PA&Category_Code=ledio

THOSE are the right color frequency and have superior output per watt, and would be the only bulb style ones that I personally would try...
to me though, those are better suited for a canopy, and would probably look strange in a fixture...
I guess you could still make a cool little aluminum framed box for them and hide the sockets and most of the bulb at least.

I have a 12" tall canopy with my tank right now, using MH lighting. The information I was reading regarding these types of LEDs is that mounting them inside my canopy might be too low, creating a spotlight effect.

A lot of people seem to mount these all the way up on the ceiling and from what I understand the light is pretty focused into the tank even at that height. Seems like that might work great for a rimless tank, but for me personally I want to keep my lighting within my canopy.

Wow. That would be sweet on a look down or rimless tank. Do you know of anyone who might run them this way? With pictures or maybe a very detailed description?

guy559, that is a good find.

I have been reading the gigantic thread on another site about LED and although Im almost done, I never seen this setup before... good find...

Ive been thinking of doing my own DIY LED to supplement my t5 but this one gives me something to think about.

looking into the new cree powered pacific sun led light? is there better

The RC thread has some good pics: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746535

In that thread, they are using fixtures made by someone and sold through nanotuners: http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?products_id=623&osCsid=alhi51siai2u554dj3l0dt02n1

Those have 5 CREE LEDs per fixture, 21W total, and are $119/each, or $99/each when you order 5 or more!

Yeah Evilc66 he is on Nanoreef.com, most of the people who have ordered the bulbs seem quite happy with them. I believe evil himself uses 4 of these bulbs over his 40 gallon breeder reef.

Back