new lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rude944

OK, I am upgrading from my 20x20x20 tank with a 150MH Iwasaki to a tank that measures 28 high x 24 wide x 20 deep. Tall cube and slightly unconventional measurements. I like it that way.
I any event, I want to have SPS on top and think the 150 won't cut it. So I am looking at a coralvue retro setup for 250 and 400 watters. I am concerned with the heat the 400 will bring to my 12" canopy, so am considering 250's. I will supplement with 150 watts VHO actinic.
I have no AC and a chiller is a tall order in my space confined downtown city apartment.
I'm very confused, hi heat or low color????
-Seth

I'd say for 28" tall you'll want 400watts if you plan to keep your bulb another 6"+ away from the top of the water because of heating issues, and closer would probably scorch anything too close to the top anyway.

imo if you're gonna put any type of hard corals or clams anywhere near the bottom, 400w.

Did you brave last summer in portland with a saltwater tank with no AC in an apartment. In seattle, my first year I had a saltwater tank I lost a few fish due to heat...where my tank temp got up to 87F+ for a few days. This was with nothing but regular noflo's on a 29gallon. apartments do tend to get hotter than houses during the summer. I know people in houses that can keep their house cool enough during the summer up here, but apartments just swealter.

Temperature-wise I wonder what the difference in heat really is between the 2 bulbs...250watt's haldies are pretty hot.

Last edited:
You know looking at the performance charts for iwasaki bulbs thier is a huge difference in the intencity of the 250 in comparison to the 150. I dont think the 150 even for keeping sps just on top is going to be good enough for all sps types, but in the same breathe I cnat see any reason to have anything above one 250 watt iwasaki over this tank.

Mike

I'd have to agree, as I have had numerous acroporas brown out somewhat. I was never able to figure out why they would, as I had low nutrients and my other water parameters looked pretty good.
Still, I don't know the relative benefits of having a 250 vs a 400 watt MH on the tank. I think I am in a cusp, where I could go wither way, but I would really like the corals to shine in a way that I have only seen under 400 watt MH lights. It's a tough call for me.

If you have a 250 or a 400 watter it all depends on the bulb. My self I have all 400 watt hqi's but in most cases your 250 iwalkie is putting out more par then are mine.

mike

Back