New look

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
Ive been toying with the idea of reaquascaping 2/3rds of my tank for about six months now. I finally did it in the first stages of becoming more electrically ecofriendly.
The first step is to take out some of my less desirable acros and make more swim room for my three tangs.
The tangs are very energetic tonight swimming around agressively exploring all of the new nooks and crannies along with swimming the full length of the tank.
The next step will be to replace my CL with some vortechs. My sequence hammerhead costs me near $20 a month to run. Two vortechs giving the same GPH will cost $4 a month.

Before
greatpic2.jpg

After
newlook.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! What happened????

Nah! It looks great man. Can't wait to see it in person. I'm sure the 3D part just doesn't come out in the pics. Looks like you moved all the frogspawn/hammer down by the VT. Gonna be real nice once everything expands again.

Good work! I notice that its different then when I saw it yesterday =P Were there any avalanches while you re-glued the corals?

Reed, the 3-D part really doesnt work. As always, you cant even see the monti setosa in this pic. There's quite a bit of character to it. My wife even likes it better.

Jesse, No avalanches here. I stacked african ciclid tanks for soooooo many years LR is IMO easy stacking. It helps that half of the center of the tank is one rock to.
There are only six rocks filling in the area between both overflows. The rest is on a PCV rack.

Looking great Duane!!! You will definately save some money on energy going to VTs. How many are you putting in?

Looking great Duane!!! You will definately save some money on energy going to VTs. How many are you putting in?

Well, If I sell My CL followed by my tunze nanos, I'll add two.

That will give me Two MP40s an MP20 (eventually upgrade to MP40) and a MJ mod for a total of 10000GPH or 47x turnover. I also have a pressure rated return for 1000GPH
I was running 17000 but feel it was inefficient . I'm down to 12000 constant now with 2k on a wave maker setting.

Looks good. So what did you do with all the stuff you pulled out, LFS, frag tank, craigslist? My tangs wish I were as kind and opened a few swim lanes.

Looks good. So what did you do with all the stuff you pulled out, LFS, frag tank, craigslist? My tangs wish I were as kind and opened a few swim lanes.

So far the stuff is sitting in my sump and is stacked fairly deep in my frag tank. I pulled over 30 wild pocilloporas from various places in the display.
Most of what is gone is two very large monti caps, two cantelope sized pocilloporas, an A nana thats as big as a grapefruit and a stag thats as big as a basket ball.
I only removed about 40-50 pounds of LR from the display.

Well, since everyone is being so nice I'll be that "other person". I still think you should do the right side like you have the left. That left side is awesome in my opinion. Reminds me of formations I have seen while diving. Maybe make the middle a low hill/rubble field for your LPS like the acans. Or maybe one large stag or massive stylo like that pink one of yours. But that is my ever so humble opinion.

Well, If I sell My CL followed by my tunze nanos, I'll add two.

That will give me Two MP40s an MP20 (eventually upgrade to MP40) and a MJ mod for a total of 10000GPH or 47x turnover. I also have a pressure rated return for 1000GPH
I was running 17000 but feel it was inefficient . I'm down to 12000 constant now with 2k on a wave maker setting.

Well right now if I have all the pumps running full speed they would yield around 14000GPH. I can't keep sand to stay put in front of my tank. I use to have around 17000+ GPH until I took out the 3rd MP40. I think as th3e corals mature in my tank I will have to add the other MP40 back on.

Well, since everyone is being so nice I'll be that "other person". I still think you should do the right side like you have the left. That left side is awesome in my opinion. Reminds me of formations I have seen while diving. Maybe make the middle a low hill/rubble field for your LPS like the acans. Or maybe one large stag or massive stylo like that pink one of yours. But that is my ever so humble opinion.

Too late for that my friend. You'll be suprized at how much the right side looks similar to the left. I didnt want to make them identical.......and, you know me, I still want as much real estate as possible

Too late for that my friend. You'll be suprized at how much the right side looks similar to the left. I didnt want to make them identical.......and, you know me, I still want as much real estate as possible

looks great Duane.....seems like every few months I have to get in my tank and change something......the more rock I remove, to open things up the more I like it......

Nice Aquascaping job Duane,

I now see that us Remodel Contractors/Designers have yet another talent to add to the list. It took me all day and then some to reaquascape my 75g to accomodate what I picked up at the Midnight Madness Sale thinning out for growth room for acros. Next time maybe I'll hire you :lol:

Todd

Thanks for the kind words everyone..... Even you Adam.
I ended up ordering two Tunze's with a controller today. To bad America is out of the 6105's until the end of the month. Marine depot has even removed them from their site since Ive ordered them.

Last edited:
Back