New neilson idea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blane

Please take a look at my new neilson reactor idea. It's supposed to provide a better mix and safer addition of kalk due to it's aditional chamber.

DC_Kalk_Reactor_2_JPG.jpg

and a refined color diagram

DC_Kalk_Reactor_2_JPG.jpg

Thanks for your help

That is a really good Idea IMHO. Lets see how it works after you make it! Nice

What about functoinality. I would like different ideas befor I start building.

The main drive behind this reactor is to allow the kalk to be mixed with a stronger pump to more throughly lift it from the bottom of the reactor. Being larger or longer as it could be looked at, the water has a longer period of time to mix with the kalk and I belive a better pH stabalazation might happen as well. The last atribute is that it doesn't have to be as tall as a standard unit thus fitting in you sump space better and the footprint isn't much larger than a single unit.

Please give me your ideas for mods and changes.

Blane said:
What about functoinality. I would like different ideas befor I start building.
Please give me your ideas for mods and changes.

Your inlet and outlet will most likely be a problem.
Your dosing pump is not designed to push water in (not enough pressure), so move the inlet to the top of chamber#1 with a check valve in-line.

Your outlet is a overflow type outlet the problem is the scum on top will be going from chamber #1 to #2 then the scum from #2 will be going into your sump. You need the outlet tubes to drop about midway so your only getting the clear lime water.

I assume chamber #2 is to trap excess sediment. Since you are not remixing it, I would put in some sort of drain to get rid of it every now and again.

Don

Here is a revision. Im not sure what you have in mind for a drain on the second chamber. Please tell me what you were thinking.

Here is a full view of the reactor. It has been revised to acomodate the ideas given. There are air bleed valves on both caps and a twist valve on the outlet line to acomadate air bleeding. There is also a check valve on the intake side.

Let me know what you think.

dual_kalk_revised_full_diagram.jpg

IMO, no metal of any kind. You can use those John Guest fittings - the same ones for the ice maker - same one's I use, quick and easy.

You can also use those nylon hose barbs, thd'd on one side, too.

Last edited:
Blane said:
Is it possible to use brass fittings on the reactor or will this cause a problem?

No I would'nt use brass. Run over to home depot. Next to the brass fitting they have white plastic quick disconnect fitting (JG Clones). They go up to 1/2. Should have everything you need.

Don

Last edited:
I assume that your caps and coupling are pvc? If so, I'd suggest you get a set of pipe taps and use those where ever possible. The JG fittings are 1/4" and I think you can use 1/2" fittings in other places. I drilled mine and slipped the 1/2" pvc through, but it took some doing to get it to seal. The pvc is really easy to tap and I'll do that if I ever make another.

I will use the JG fitting as they seem like the best simple option. As far as the mixing tubes and transfer tube, I think I'll use 1/2" pvc glued into the side walls. Here is a final design model. I'll keep you posted on the construction. Thanks for all the great info.

dual_kalk_reactor_3.jpg

Hey Blane, What type of pump and what GPH you will be using on this baby? By the way, i really like the design...

reeffan

I have been looking at numerous powerheads. One of the nice things about this setup is that pump choice isn't as difficult as a single chambered reactor because the first chamber is the "mix" chamber, so a powerfull PH can be used. Also you won't have to worry about moding a pump to get really low gph.

I think that I will use something between 150 to 200 gph. I have been thinking about integrating another pump to pump from the bottom of the clearwater chamber to the mix chamber to rid the CW chamber of risidual kalk mix that could possibly settle to the bottom. I think that I'll have to build the reactor first and see how it works.

That's it for now and thanks for all the kind words. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Blane said:
I have been looking at numerous powerheads. One of the nice things about this setup is that pump choice isn't as difficult as a single chambered reactor because the first chamber is the "mix" chamber, so a powerfull PH can be used. Also you won't have to worry about moding a pump to get really low gph.

I think that I will use something between 150 to 200 gph. I have been thinking about integrating another pump to pump from the bottom of the clearwater chamber to the mix chamber to rid the CW chamber of risidual kalk mix that could possibly settle to the bottom. I think that I'll have to build the reactor first and see how it works.

That's it for now and thanks for all the kind words. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Blane,

Actually the pump is important. You need one that can be replaced easily. One that impellors can be had easilly And of course one that is not prone to leakes
IMO the MJ 900 would be about right for your set-up.
The second pump idea, I dont think I would go there. Just a faucet / ball valve on the bottom to flush should be fine. At HD you can get the plastic ball valve quick disconnect on one side 1/2 npt on the other.

Don

Thanks for the info. I will look into the mj 900, and as far as the second pump, it was only a thought but the ball valve is a better idea. The second chamber can also be accessed through the top for cleaning.

Back