New skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Here it is 2.5 hours and almost done. Pump wont be here till next week so Ill plumb it then. All joints are rabbited. The riser joint is a self centering o-ring flange. The riser is actually three pieces 3" in the cup, 5" riser and 1/4" flange center all sitting in rabbits. Of course the lid is key holed with oring. Total height is 30".

Don

Looks like it will be a good one Don. Are you going to use a gate valve on the output? I think that is a good way to go, and I will probably try it on my next version.

Sweeeet

That's a nice looking skimmer there Don. Can't wait to here how it works when you get it all hooked up.

Don,
Are you going with a Sedra 5000 to run this(needle wheel)? Which pump will you use? The preview looks excellent. It does remind me of a Euroreef. But look at the money you saved. Good Job Don. Like Reedman said, I would love to see it running also.

Ed

Ed its going to be a ocean runner 2700 (more gph), Toms had good luck so I figured I would give it a shot.
Last night I finish the scunge tank and replumbed my media reactor system to to get more plumbing features.

Faucet for blasting rock work and doing water changes. This sure will be nice to have."t" shaped water jet in the skimmer cup as a cup rinse since it flows to a 6x10 round tank. And a tiny sprinkler head in the cup lid to rinse the riser neck, not sure how well thats going to clean but what the heck I was on a roll.
I also spent the day making gismos out of scrap acrylic to organize and make room for the skimmer.
Hang on dual probe holder
Hang on CA reactor tube holder
Raised heater stand
Wall mount Ph monitor holder
These all took the place of dead suction cups and made alot of room in the stand.

Don

Well you need to show us the output, and does it still have the washdown?
It looks nice bud

Hey Don,

I was just wondering if you put that bad-boy into action yet? It looks like a great skimmer!

Tom,
Its in and works perfectly. I had to redo the out adjuster, ended up with a 1" with 1 1/4 slid over. I just move a tight oring up and down to adjust. No elbows the water just cascades over the pipe works perfectly. The venturi worked perfectly. It was pretty much Plug and play. Still need to hook up the wash down and drain.
I'll get some pics up in a day or so.

Don

I bet that Toy out performs mine. It looks taller and you said more flow than Sedra 5000. It looks Sweet Don. The biggest part is you did not pay $560 for it and you built it by yourself.

big t said:
So how does it compare to the t-1000? :D I know really haha

Funny, I had the thing running into a bucket until it slowed down. So far running 2 days over a gallon over thick nasty green scunge. Ive watched my orp climb from 300 to 425 in two days and its now slowed down to a normal amount. I turned the ozone back on this morning and was even more impressed. The foam was like nasty green miracle whip and no ozone was leaving the skimmer.
I'm going to clean it out tonight and hook up the overflow tank.

Don

I really was amazed when I hooked up my new skimmer :eek: It was just the most amazing amount of nasty crap that it pulled out. I really needed a good skimmer!

big t said:
I really was amazed when I hooked up my new skimmer :eek: It was just the most amazing amount of nasty crap that it pulled out. I really needed a good skimmer!

Tom,
Are you running a felt sock in you new system? I did figure out, without one you get a tall black foam with larger bubbles. With one you get green miracle whip almost no bubbles. I guess its the larger crap particles that dont make it into the sump.

Don

Hey Don, I am currently not running a sock, but will be going back to the sock when I get home, among other things to get my tank back on the right track. I only have 2 months to play with it, and get it stable before I have to leave again. I will then be gone for 3 months Grrr.

Man thats a real drag. Your wife must be a great lady, putting up with your schedule and your reef.

Don

Don, that skimmer sounds awesome! You should post some pics of it in action when you get a chance.

Tom, I have to agree with Don. Growing up in a military family I know how it goes, but it's still a lot to deal with. Pile on top taking care of your reef while your gone...KEEPER!

Back