New skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Did you use modified needle wheel or just whatever comes with the ocean runner pump?

Mauisreef said:
Looks really good Don.
What was total cost with pump if ya dont mind my asking plz?

Maui

I think the the pump was $70 and about 50$ worth of acrylic.

Don

Don I have question about the acrylic you used to build this skimmer, Did you use thin or thick wall extruded or cast tube? and when you put the hole through the side wall for the drain did you use a router or drill? I just finished building a new skimmer for myself with 6" thin wall extruded tubing and routed a 2.030 hole for the UniSeal and a week later I've developed cracks around the hole, any ideas why?

Thanks

If you look at the tube real close you will see the extrusion lines. These are the problem. If you flame polish the inside of the hole it kind of rebonds the extrusions. Also use a spiral router bit so that it not grabbing the acrylic splitting the extrusions apart.

Hope this helps
Don

I'm using the spiral bit, didn't consider the lines in the wall of the tube, good point! Are using a plumbing torch for polishing?

Thanks it explains a bunch

I use a little piezo butane torch. Make a nice small blue flame. Yellow flames create smoke damage.

Don

reeffan said:
Don,
Just wondering where can i find those gray pvc elbows and the sponge? Great job on that skimmer =).

thanks,
reeffan

Lowes has the grey. Go to electrical section. Blue Sierra has a good selection of sponges.

Don

where did you get the ocean runner, and did it come with the asperating venturi and needle wheel? by the way i love your skimmer, very cool!

Back