New Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Maybe you could have had Saxby make you up a fake receipt to show the misses.... besides, we all know that painters make all the money..... you just like to fiddle.

:) Steve - Welcome to the Board - good to see ya here!

Good to See you Steve. I loved looking at your work. Nice to see another experienced large Tank Owner around. You ears must have been ringing with all the talk about your tank and your White Barred Box Fish. I am putting glue on my Voodoo dolls feet hoping you stick around.
Hope you are not going anywhere but here,
Hope your having a good one,
Ed Hahn @pnl.gov

Okay Mike,
The check's in the mail. I need one for my next tank, so you've got some time to get it made. I'm thinking about 200 gallons or so. Lemme know how much you want for shipping.
:D :D :D
Nick

Maybe you could have had Saxby make you up a fake receipt to show the misses.... besides, we all know that painters make all the money..... you just like to fiddle.
LOL Steve its not that she would mind I would just have to give her an equal ammount, lol that makes it even more expensive. Yea your right on the tinkering...its always been my downfall, :p . I will trade you three painters for one general ;) Good to see you hanging around Steve, lets get some pics up of that awesome reef

Good luck Nick...like I said Acrylic is not my friend, lol

Mike

Mike,
I tried your wet neck idea on my skimmer last night. I was totally shocked, blew the lid off the skimmer. What an cool easy add-on.

Thanks for the great idea,
Don

cool!!!!!!!!! Its pretty impressive when that foam starts moving that quick isnt it.

Mike

So now that it has been running a couple days Mike, has the neck been staying pretty clean? Well I am going to go and try this out too.

I turned the wetneck off Tom and the neck got dirty with in a few hours, which is a drag, lol to many screws to take off. So I cleaned it and it has stayed clean ever since.

MIke

So what exactly is the wet neck? Does it run water down around the neck (inner tube) of the skimmer surrounding the column of bubbles? Therefore it keeps crude from accumulating on the next. Therefore I'd have cleaner fingers when cleaning my collection cup? Thats a sweet idea.

Pretty much John. The other thing it does is that the foams travels alot easier up the tube because the friction is less against the water then it is against the acrylic.

Mike

Do you think the wet neck can be easily incorporated into any skimmer? It seems that a lot of people could benefit from enhanced skimming capability.

Yes any skimmer can benefit from this technology! I am trying it right now on my skimmer, I am working on making a stand that is tall enough to allow me to have my skimmer far enough out of the water to allow me to set the water level low enough in the skimmer so that it dosn't "blow the freaking lid off" HEHE.

Pacific Coast Needle Wheel...

Sorry to get to this thread so late but, great ideas and info. I wanted to share with you the new needle wheel pumps available from Pacific Coast ( the Gen-x guy) I tried out the 2400 with the needle wheel impeller and was impressed with the "fog" it created using the simple intake venturi it comes with. I don't know if these are readily available yet but will be soon. I think they will be offered in the 1000(240 gph), 2400(600gph), 4100(1000 gph), and another small size if I remember right. We have used these pumps for everything from water return to wave makers, with good success. Steve at Pacific Coast Imports has been a great help and supporter of our shop over the years. Consider these pumps for future applications. BTW, they are priced right also! [email protected]

Hey Ryan good to see you onboard, and welcome to reef frontiers.

Wrasse close...very close, lol

Mike

hey mojo how long does the wetneck stay on or is it on 24/7? im new as well so i dont know. Im trying to use the wetneck on my ASM

Hey Mike, do you have any more info on this "wet Neck" maybe a site that shows how to build it or something. After a 4 month hiatus from building my monster skimmer I am getting back into it over the Christmas holidays and it isn't to late to add something like that to mine. Look very cool anyways cuz I really hate cleaning skimmers :) I changed my design already from Becket's to Dual 685 Mazzei injectors as my pump won't handle two Becket's.

Steve

Hey Spykes I leave it on 24/7. I am just starting to see a thin film of organics now on the neck. So about a month and a half to build up what normally happened over night. Went through about 8 gallons of skimate to.

Hey Steve buddy. I dont really know of a site that shows how to build it. If you need more pics then I have in here let me know. I believe thier are two basic ways to do it. The way I did and then to maybe just use tubing and drill a bunch of holes.

If you havent gotten the mazzies yet let me know I have a few of them, pumps to. I am going to do another major modification on this one. I find myself remembering the pain of venturi skimmers and I am not a fan of the neddle wheel anymore.

Mike

Hey Mike, what is your problem w/ the needle wheels? Are you having problems w/ those mazzei's?

Back