New tank, need some help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bored4ever86

So after a disaster with my 125g (flea bombs poisoned the tank, only one domino damsel survived) I'm restarting in a bigger tank. I bough me a 180g off CL and I'm setting it up eventually as a mixed reef.

On to the help needed, I set up my RO system again to start making water... bad luck ensues. I have it set up to be portable so it just hooks up to the faucet, and when i was tightening it the part that screws into the faucet broke off. After a couple hours fighting it I got the piece out of the faucet and headed to Lowe's for replacement. Ended up hooking it to the outside spigot and with my luck the water is so cold I manged a mere 14g in 5.5 hours. So I'm in need of a faster alternative. I'm not looking to buy another RO system or anything like that just looking for someone that might be near the Bothell/Mill Creek area that I can get a large amount of water from. I'm still needing 150+ gallons...

I'll happily pay for the water, but $.49/gal at Denny's seems too high.

Also, if anyone's interested i have a large snowflake eel that I'll be selling/trading pretty soon...

Ok, after some reading and some thought, I've decided to go with water from the Seattle Aquarium, I can only transport 30 gallons at a time with my current container situation so if anyone has some salt buckets/water containers with lids I'd love to borrow them for a couple days and if people are interested i'll even return them full of SA water

Last edited:
cant you just get another faucet adapter, or maybe do it in a laundry room?
otherwise, just have the ro dump straight into the tank and forget about it for a couple days...:shock:

So after a disaster with my 125g (flea bombs poisoned the tank, only one domino damsel survived) I'm restarting in a bigger tank. I bough me a 180g off CL and I'm setting it up eventually as a mixed reef.

On to the help needed, I set up my RO system again to start making water... bad luck ensues. I have it set up to be portable so it just hooks up to the faucet, and when i was tightening it the part that screws into the faucet broke off. After a couple hours fighting it I got the piece out of the faucet and headed to Lowe's for replacement. Ended up hooking it to the outside spigot and with my luck the water is so cold I manged a mere 14g in 5.5 hours. So I'm in need of a faster alternative. I'm not looking to buy another RO system or anything like that just looking for someone that might be near the Bothell/Mill Creek area that I can get a large amount of water from. I'm still needing 150+ gallons...

I'll happily pay for the water, but $.49/gal at Denny's seems too high.

Also, if anyone's interested i have a large snowflake eel that I'll be selling/trading pretty soon...

Ok, after some reading and some thought, I've decided to go with water from the Seattle Aquarium, I can only transport 30 gallons at a time with my current container situation so if anyone has some salt buckets/water containers with lids I'd love to borrow them for a couple days and if people are interested i'll even return them full of SA water

Yeah just go get another adapter at BRA and then y off your washing machine could water faucet.

You say a flee bomb killed your tank, was this bomb set off in the house or did one somehow end up in your tank. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I have 4 kids and a nephew so I know what kids do sometimes.

You say a flee bomb killed your tank, was this bomb set off in the house or did one somehow end up in your tank. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I have 4 kids and a nephew so I know what kids do sometimes.

it was set off in the room, with 6 dogs the flea problem can get bad fast, and I covered the tank but forgot to cover the back air holes... Not only that but the next day we went to FL to visit my sister so i left the lids on to prevent some of the normal evaporation and so the tank didn't get to properly air out after the bombing. Apparently my dad never looked in the tank while feeding it and so he never knew anything was wrong. I came home to all my fish dead except for one zebra damsel.

thanks for the offer jrgilles, but i figure i'll try the SA water (got my first load earlier) see how things go with the cycle. If i start seeing things go out of the ordinary i may just drain the tank again and go the tried and true RO->salt water.

Back