New tank one year from now?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

^ Look at Adam's post count...I have a funny feeling he'll keep us updated.

When you’re ready to move that beast...I'll be on vacation.:lol:
My back hurts just looking at it.

It will definitely be a cool design.

Come on you can go bigger than that! You know your going to wanna . . .I told you that last time!:lol::lol::lol:

We all want bigger!!!! Until you realize a 10% WC is a half a bucket of salt!:eek:

Well a half a bucket is closer to 20% in my case, but still.....:eek:

We all want bigger!!!! Until you realize a 10% WC is a half a bucket of salt!:eek:

I totally agree!!! To think I was doing 25% water change on my 40b every week and a bucket would last like 4 months. I can only dream about them days now LOL. I do a water change on my new system like every 2 months LOL.

This is going to be awesome! I'm looking forward to it! I like your current tank now but I think this will be really cool too.

Are you going to combine both of the tanks inhabitants you have now into your new tank?

But you forget, with a small tank you are much more likely to be overstocking; therefore, require more frequent water changes. Or you can go bigger and do less frequent water changes, just bigger. :)

what about stand? wood or metal?

will you be able to see all sides or will it be up against a wall

Are you just going to modfiy you stand you have now adam to fit this beast or will you have to completly build a new one.

My stand as of now is strong enough to hold up my car.
All I have to do is drill a few more holes for more bulkheads..
As for the hood I will have to have that modded :(
I may just have to get a new one built!

L shape tank sounds like a good choice, i would go with two internal overflows to get better water exchange imo. but then again you probably dont wanna take that room away. Go with what feels right to you.

Crazy idea but you could put a second overflow in the 24x54" section and stack rocks against it. Then you can run some extra sump returns there to get some clean water there and you won't have to worry about surface scum accumulating over there. You could plumb one directly to the skimmer compartment and have the other go to a refugium or something.

Crazy idea but you could put a second overflow in the 24x54" section and stack rocks against it. Then you can run some extra sump returns there to get some clean water there and you won't have to worry about surface scum accumulating over there. You could plumb one directly to the skimmer compartment and have the other go to a refugium or something.

Cant put an over flow over there this will be a peninsula style tank..
Viewed from all sides but the short side on the "L" and the back were the overflow is....

So you're gonna build it - Too cool! +1 for glass also. Highly recommend using Starphire on your viewing windows. Had Mitch at Bow Valley build mine with it on all 3 sides - While not quite as clear as acrylic, it's a small price to pay to get out of the buffing chores. ;o)

Have you thought about plumbing your closed loop returns more towards the center of the tank? That way they can be concealed within your rockwork and provide another element to stabilize your aquascape. Also...and this is the engineer in me coming out...with that many returns holes drilled towards the outside and corners (on a glass bottom) you could run into unacceptable stresses developing between the edge of the plate and the drilled hole. Something to consider...especially when it's being shipped and handled into place.

Looking forward to seeing how this comes along - happy to come down and help during the build too! By the way - that frags I picked up from you are doing great! Thanks again!

Had Mitch at Bow Valley build mine with it on all 3 sides -

Don't believe I've ever heard anything positive about Mitch before.
I almost sent him money for a tank once. Judging from his feedback on Reef Central you must be one of the lucky ones. I heard there were darn few.

Actually my tank was built by Mitch personally in 2002 before he turned the business over to his son. It was a quality build with polished beveled ends, zero bubbles in the seams, and has performed flawlessly (knock on wood) over the last 7 years. You're correct though - I've heard nothing but horror stories about the tanks coming out of Bow Valley since it was turned over to a "younger generation". I'm looking closely at Glass Cages right now for my 300 gal science project about to begin...:eek:)

Back