new tank pics[dial up beware]

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ProPs

new tank pics[updated]

well i removed my 3 1/2 year old sandbed last night..originally from my 20 then to my 33 to my 90 gallon tank..i couldn't believe how dirty the sandbed was, its was like mud by the time i syphoned most of the water out..took all day yesterday to do it...tips for you people make lots and lots and lots and lots of water if you ever decide to remove your sandbed or move your tank :mad:
the tank looks like crap right now but i'm happy.. i caught my sps nipper black coral goby and also removed my 2 rbta whos been stinging corals since it split 7months ago when i treated my tank for red bugs..so far no deaths except for some snails and hermit crabs which i think i vaccumed along with the sand
anyways heres my tank as of December 5
05-12-04.jpg

here it is now
full01.jpg

endshot.jpg

leftside.jpg

middle.jpg

rightside.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I like the frag shelf, can you post more pics of how it was made. Looks great. Like a coral jungle. LOL Thanks for sharing. Steve

Very cool ... wow, lots of stuff to worry about as you removed the sandbed. I agree with you that you need LOTS more water than you think when planning it out. Your tank is looking great just after the removal. Nice job.

Excellent Prosps, the tank looks great!!!

Hey I used to live in Delta.

Mike

well the shelf's an eggcrate masterpiece lol i just cut the pieces i want and zap strapped them together and walaaaa!frag rack lol
hey mike i'm just 5mins away from delta =o)
kinda sucks removing the sandbed but i thought it was the perfect time to remove it as i had to get rid of my coral black goby..
really hard to put the corals back in.. i was in awe when i put them on the holding container i didn't know i had some much corals unvelievable..
i have to fix the right side of the tank it looks like crap
another tip
an awl is better to use than a chisel to remove the corals off the rocks
just a lil tap from a hammer and poof the corals out..

Wow what a difference. I too like the frag shelf. I didn't see any softies in there :shock: but it looks great.

ohh another tip make sure you have enough heaters on your holding containers
some of my corals browned out and lost some colors ..stressed out really bad i think ihad them in the containers for 4hours
weird this is my efflo frag maintained it color while my dearest efflo colony darkened up

Hi Kevin, If I may answer that question of yours....

He is using 2x400 watt 14K SunAquatics. Very common in Canada. I know this because I have the same lighting setup as his but 10K from him. He's going to get his 10k back and will exchange for the 14k instead.

Its so tempting to go to 2x400 on my 90 when I see Props tank. I am concerned with heat transfer still. I am also concerned with bleaching my corals. I absolutely love his 90. He is proof that people can run 2x400 watt MH on a 90. I still want to learn more from Props about this. :eek: Awesome tank...

That is true... and with the price diff of the 250 and 400 bulbs... it makes you think.
Ed, I have a 40g breeder.... 36x18x16h with a single 400 watt 10k.... Previously it is 24 inch over the water (because of acclimatization) but now it is 12" from water. And no temp diff and no FAN/BLOWER too.

If I go below 12" then I can see my water temp rising up to 1 to 1.5 degrees.

With regards to bleaching, as long as you take precaution in introducing the new light, i dont see any problems. Unless the bulb is defective, like what happened before in some coralvue bulbs. Ironically that is what I bought and am going to try on monday.

I hope they fixed the issues.

They said that you can never have too much light... But I think in my case 400 10k is too much thats why im going to try 20k coralvue (looks like 14k)... to lower tha par kind of....

well heres my theory.. being an islander from the philippines i've gotten to see most of the corals we have here if not better. the temp on those waters go up from 23degree celcius to 30+ depending if your around shallow reef or at the deeper part..on a hot sunny day you get sunburn within less than an hour which tells you something about the corals which are few meters away from the shores.. they probably get 20x more light than our tanks... my temp hovers around 27degree celcius during winter and around 29degree celcius on summer..
my bulbs are roughly 8" above the water level.. 7hours of 400watt 14000k bulbs and 7 1/2 hours of actinic..2 4" fans inside the canopy..evaporation rate is roughly around 3gallons a day so one of these days my house is gon grumble down to the ground..
ed if your worried about heat you can add fans to your hood or to point a fan directly to your sump.. you can increase you turn over rate from your sump to the main tank as well...

Props,
I have clip on fans. I have one on the water surface of my tank. I also have one on the sump. I am usually about 81 degrees when tank lights are about to shut off at 9pm(end of photo period). I am heavily considering running two fans inside my stand and possibly 4 fans in my canopy. I have two fans in my canopy already. I do not use them because of noise. I am looking for quiet fans that move a lot of air and are temperature sensing.
I have been working on this for a while...I keep looking at your tank and wanting more light..I am considering the thought of 2 400 watters and raising my lights. My 250 Mhs are 9 inches from water now.
Ed :)

Back