New to the Seattle area, help me find some cool saltwater stores!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefhobyist

Anyone have any suggestions? Recently went to Barrier Reef Aquariums. Took forever to find it, was hoping for more fish selection but was impressed with the corals. Starting up a new tank and need to buy everything all over! Any stores you guys recommend? Particularly interested in good live rock and affordable corals! The closer to Lake Stevens the better!

br is Is one of the best in that area I have seen . And if they don't have it they will special order for you

Also check the classifieds here , there are some realy cool people in the area that are willing to help a fellow reefer out

Last edited:
Barrier Reef and Red C are both sponsors, here on Reef Frontiers, along with a few other great LFS.

If you found Barrier Reef to be light on their fish selection, check back. Chances are they were a day or so before an order comes in. They're probably still restocking from a HUGE sale they had, last weekend.

Barrier Reef and Red C are both sponsors, here on Reef Frontiers, along with a few other great LFS.

If you found Barrier Reef to be light on their fish selection, check back. Chances are they were a day or so before an order comes in. They're probably still restocking from a HUGE sale they had, last weekend.

Yep...hardly any fish in right now. More coming this week:) You nailed it Michael...cleaned out after the sale.

wow thanks for all the replies! yes, lake stevens is out there (lol) but I am actually even living more north right now in Arlington.

I heard Red C aquarium is kind of small, do they have nice corals? I was impressed with Barrier reef's selection.

Also id love to hear more about blue sierra. Are there any must see stores more in the seattle area? I do travel a lot!

Lastly, any place for nice live rock!!

You can give Reef Keeper Supply up in Arlington a try. They usually have a decent supply of fish

123 N. Olympic Ave, Arlington, WA 98223
STORE HOURS Monday – Friday 11:00 to 6:00 Saturday – 11:00 – 7:00 Sunday – Noon – 5:00

If you'd like to hear more about Blue Sierra you can PM me as I doubt my comments would fly on public forum.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Saltwater City In Bellevue, They are one of the only if not THE only local fish stores in the area that Quarantine all their fish before they put them out for sale. The coral they have is larger and a bit more expensive then Barrier reef but also nice. Andy (the part owner) is on call for the Seattle Aquarium and has been working with saltwater aquariums for more then 30 years.

Barrier Reef and Saltwater City are the only stores I get my livestock.

Steve

PM sent

Ya, everyone has their favorite stores and their least favorite. Lets not turn this thread into a " I dont like this store because" thread.

I find that by frequenting all of the LFS you can decide for yourself where you can find the best selection and best customer serviceto suit your needs. I also see jems of corals in some of the less popular stores from time to time.

The stores from closest to farthest to you are:
RedC
Dennys Pet World
Salt Water City
Barrier Reef
Blue Sierra Issaquah
Blue Sierra Renton

I live in the north end so these are the only LFS I tend to visit.

Last edited:
I heard Red C aquarium is kind of small, do they have nice corals?

!

The old Red Sea Store was pretty small. They have moved to a much larger space (as Red C Aquarium) and are stocking up. There is another thread with a long list of fish coming in this week.

The old Red Sea Store was pretty small. They have moved to a much larger space (as Red C Aquarium) and are stocking up. There is another thread with a long list of fish coming in this week.

Coming today at 1pm I believe. :) Rob there has always been really helpful. I just posted some zoanthid pics that he fragged on the spot for us over the weekend. He's still building up his supply of corals and fish but he'll cheerfully order whatever you want.

glad Trido mentioned Denny's, they are in Northern Kirkland (Totem Lake area), I find them (especially Jesse) to be nice, cheap, and decent of live stock and corals selection. Plus probably the closest to lake stevens.

There is a LFS in Arlington? I had no idea (I work in Arlington). I'll have to check it out!

From Arlington Red C will be the closest to you in Shoreline. Rob is great and will order you anything you need- it doesn't seem like he has much in the store but whenver I ask for something he seems to make it instantly appear. His coral prices are really fair. Additionally he has the patience of a saint and will spend lots of time explaining just about anything- in my case the plumbing on my tank which I was struggling with it. He would have been justified to kick me in the head, call me a retard and kick me out. :)

Barrier Reef is all the way in Renton but has a lot of stuff and great staff. I usually go to Red C because they are closer, but Cy tracked down a special order light for me (which I keep forgetting to pay for- UGH, sorry Cy- I'll make it in this week) so they are good at finding stuff. Barrier Reef does have better hours and a few more people on staff.

I think Red C's coral prices are better, while Barrier Reef has better dry good prices. So its a wash.

Since Dennys Pet world isn't a sponsor hopefully its ok to say that I think their fish selection is dismal at best given that 1/2 their stock always has some sort of nasty fungus which remains untreated. Jesse is a super nice guy and does the best with what he has but I don't think I would buy fish there. Their coral selection is ok if you are mostly after softies and maybe some LPS. Not much SPS there.

Back