newb looking to start a saltwater tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If I were you I would find a good local fish store (LFS) who deals primarily with saltwater reef tanks. By a good one I mean one who is more concerned with the livestock they sell (rock, fish, corals, plants, inverts) going into tanks that are set up correctly and to owners who know how to take care of them...then they are with only making the sale. This "research" may take awhile depending on your ability to figure out who's only looking to make the sale, and who's interested in educating you in a hobby that they care about. I can tell you from experience...we heard LOTS of "it's really no more maint. than freshwater once it's up and running", and by in large...it's a bunch of B.S. The larger the system you have, the more stable it will be, and the more accepting it will be of your mistakes in chemistry and water quality. Unless you have an unlimited supply of RO/DI water, I would recommend buying your own filtering unit. Water costs me roughly .50 a gallon...and I have 180g TWV (total water volume) After about 5 months I'm finally getting the hint and buying one. These also require maintenance like replacing the media (filters) as needed.

NOTHING about getting started in this hobby is cheap! The best thing though is that getting knowledge from an experienced hobbiest can be free if you find a good one willing to share their experience with you.

EVERYTHING in this hobby takes time. Even if you had $5000 to spend today on all the equipment you could ever want...your tank still must cycle itself. This was a really tough concept for me to get...but my "mentor" explained it to me that the water simply needs time to age. The ocean (which you're trying to emulate) has been around for a LONG time. Don't think you're going to duplicate it in a month or 2.

If you want corals of any type...lighting will probably be your biggest expense. A modest fixture with a small halide light can cost $400-$500. A retrofit kit (if you have a hood) can be cheaper...but you'll need a general understanding of electrical wiring...and a place to house the ballast which are quite bulky and heavy. Also bulbs MUST be replaced yearly to ensure they are producing the correct kelvin (color) temperature you are trying to attain.

A good skimmer is a must...this is probably the second most important piece of equipment you'll have. Their job is to suck the nutrients (uneaten fish food, fish poop) out of the water BEFORE they have a chance to complete the natural cycle of breaking down and becoming food for algae to grow. I also learned this the hard way by having too small of a skimmer. You need a skimmer and pump that match the total volume of your system.

All that said...this is a great hobby that can bring you a great deal of joy and satisfaction. It can also take over your life for the first couple of years if you let it. Do ALOT of reading and talking to local people who've been doing it for years. I would absolutely go to some meetings of a local club or reef society if you have access to one.

Good Luck and enjoy...it may take awhile...but you'll get out (in satisfaction...not $$$) what you put into it.

maybe live rock isnt a good idea for someone so new.

I highly, HIGHLY disagree. Live rock should be in every saltwater tank. Food source, hiding spot, natural filtration. Even if you don't add a lot, you are never to new for LR :)

I would say either plan to stick with the 55 for quite a while, or keep it freshwater until you move and are ready to upgrade. If you buy a thousand bucks worth of equipment (skimmer, lights, etc) for a 55 and 6 month later you want a 120, most of the equipment will need to be upgraded. Sure, you can sell the equipment or even the whole tank, but chances are you will lose money. I learned that the hard way. And go with quality items. Do not buy cheap stuff thinking it will work the same, it doesn't. If you go with halides, the good thing is they are modular. If you get a single 250 watt, later on you can get another 250 for a bigger tank. Same goes for other wattage, of course. Saltwater tanks are a lot of fun, but a lot of work, too. You can get great advice from experienced reefers here (I don't count myself as one) and also check out wetwebmedia.com if you want to research specific critters. As far as algae eating fish, sadly they don't make Siamese Algae Eaters for saltwater tanks :lol:

Back