Newbie mistake with Ray

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

EyeTrix

I am new at this and have made the classic newbie mistake -- buying by eye and listening to an apparently "knowledgeable" saltwater dealer...

I have an advanced hi-end (cooler, protein skimmer, the works) 150 gallon saltwater reef tank. It has already gone through it cycle and is well established and everything is doing well (temp ~77-78). So, I am looking for some cool coral and spot a baby California Ray (Urobatis halleri) at a decent sized local tropical fish store. The salesman claims this is perfectly compatiable in my reef tank. I asked him specifically about it, and he states that there is no problem...it won't bother the corals, tangs, large clown fish, etc.

I have put it in, and it hasn't bothered anything yet. It just zips up and down the side of the tank occasionally popping up for air. He has burried himself also in the sand (there is plenty of room) Yet, later in the day, upon some research on the net, I find that this is a cold water creature, should not be in a reef tank, and will kill all the inveterbrates that I have, although i saw my arrow crab walk right over it and it didn't do a thing.

Will the Darwinian instinct take over and I will be left with little? So, should I let things be? Will it just freeze or starve to death?

It is a baby one, but apparently they get quite large. I will eventually get a larger tank and so that is less of a concern, but how will it be compatiable in a reef tank with medium sized tanks, large clown, arrow crabs, cleaner shrimp (I guess they will be toast), mandarinfish, etc. -- your usual set of non-aggressive reef fish.

If I should keep it, how do I feed it? Should I give it little pieces of fish? Is it possible to keep this creature in such a tank successfully? I know that the key word is successfully... Can one try???

Appreciatively,

(Hey, we all have made mistakes in the beginning...)

Welcome to RF eyetrix! Glad you are here. I have had freshwater stingrays before and if they are anything alike (which I'm sure they probably are) once they get use t their surroundings, invertebrates watch out! They love stuff like shrimps, crabs etc. and if they can catch a fish small enough to fit in their mouth they will eat it. They are predators. I wantch my stingray push a fish up into the front glass and then covered him and ate him! I am not familiar with the type of ray you have and it is quite possible it is a passive one, but that would be hard to imagine because that's almost like saying you have a passive shark...Not very common except a few. Jut a few thought that I hope will help. Oh btw, I fed my stingray live ghost shrimp and he would eat a whole supply of about 50 in a few days. He would always be on the prowl.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

If it were me, I'd try and take it back. I would worry about how the reef tank temperatures would effect the cold water species. From what I remember reading, rays are messy eaters, so your tank will require some pretty good maintenance. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do, and hopefully we'll be able to help with whatever you decide.

Thanks!

Thank you for your replies. I will return the ray today (luckily no damage yet). No doubt, the dealer who sold me the ray will offer an exchange with a large "reef safe" nudibranch of the phyllidia varicosa variety. I think I will try another place now.

Ok, so my next question (in the beginnning before one has gained actual knowledge through years of experience and self-denial), how can one tell when a dealer "authority" is giving you correct information about reef compatiablity, etc.? This was from a seeminly large scale shop...http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

I think you really have to take the time to research something they tell you. If you are interested in a purchasing a certain specimen, then ask if you can place a deposit on it, or maybe they have a book in the store you can take a peek at and get learn a brief description of the livestock. Go home, post the question here, and do some research online or with a book.....just like you did with the ray after you purchased it. If it is a good decision, then you'll be ready to pick your specimen up. If not, then maybe there is something else in the store you'd need with the deposit money. Research some species you are interested before you go to the LFS. After reading, reading, reading, and asking asking asking questions of people that aren't selling you something, then you'll find you can go into a LFS, listen to what they say, and figure out if they are trustworthy. Another thing is if you have a local reef club. The club might be able to direct you to good stores. I have a LFS that I trust completely, and they have even given me advice on a piece of equipment they don't sell. That is a good store in my opinion. I spend the majority of my money there, and its because they've always been very helpful with a great selection....if they don't know the answer, then they find it and let me know. It isn't just me either. Read any review for Premium Aquatics (an online retailer) - that's my LFS, and the majority of comments are positive. Great customer service rates high with me. Eek - sorry I went off on a tangent there :oops:.

Just a tinge... ;-)

Although, they did try to sell me a nudibranch! Although, luckily I remembered about these before and passed.

I think consulting with books in the shop (reading up vociferously now!) is a good way to go. There certainly seem to be a broad range of opinions...

The California sting rays are kind of like the catalina gobies with temp. They are for sale a lot of places but they are probably 10 degrees less then every thing else we keep. try running you tank on the low side like 75-78 and I should be ok. They are messy eaters and eat inverts so look out for nitrate problems.

Back