Newbie mistakes...need guidance!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nanshaw2001

Hello all! I am a real newb and have only been set us for a few months. I have already discovered several mistakes I've made:shock:. I have VERY limited financial resources and that being said need to as inexpensively as possible slowly rectify my mistakes. I have a 55 set up- 1 bar goby, 1 dragonet, 3 damsels, 1 royal gramma. I have just a few snails but also bought a Sebae anemone ( I know....) and do have alot of feather duster/tube worm guys on my lr. I do not have any powerheads and have only had the hob filter for circulation. Am doing about a 10% water change every other week. Guessing powerheads would perk up my inverts. I am hand feeding the anemone fresh shrimp every few days. Have brine shrimp eggs coming for the dragonet so I can give her live food. Would really appreciate any suggestions that will help me get back on track. As you can see...I'm really tring. And READING,READING and READING!!!:D

Hello all! I am a real newb and have only been set us for a few months. I have already discovered several mistakes I've made:shock:. I have VERY limited financial resources and that being said need to as inexpensively as possible slowly rectify my mistakes. I have a 55 set up- 1 bar goby, 1 dragonet, 3 damsels, 1 royal gramma. I have just a few snails but also bought a Sebae anemone ( I know....) and do have alot of feather duster/tube worm guys on my lr. I do not have any powerheads and have only had the hob filter for circulation. Am doing about a 10% water change every other week. Guessing powerheads would perk up my inverts. I am hand feeding the anemone fresh shrimp every few days. Have brine shrimp eggs coming for the dragonet so I can give her live food. Would really appreciate any suggestions that will help me get back on track. As you can see...I'm really tring. And READING,READING and READING!!!:D

Keep going. Try to find other people around you that have tanks, they will be your best resources.

But if you want basic advice the first thing I would get is a protein skimmer. For a 55 you want a pretty big one. This skimmer is the cheapest one I would get http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-dual-hang-on-backbrprotein-skimmer-hb-300-1012.html. If this is still to expensive for you I think you would prefer to wait until you have some more money before you try a saltwater tank. Without a good skimmer you will waste more money in dead fish and inverts than you would buying the higher quality equipment.

Good Luck!

Hey,that looks like a good skimmer for the money. I have a BakPak skimmer with some macro algae in it instead of any plastic bio media. Truly the skimmer has been a huge help and those maxi-jet 1200 powerheads work great and are about $24 bucks. Can't beat em. The other huge thing that I have found helpful is NO TAP WATER. But that is just in my 55 gal. which is low tech. I like what people say around here nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.
Hang in there.I have a pair of A. Ocellaris clowns, a bluegreen chromis, coral beauty angel, yellow watchman goby and a yellow tang who sad to say was my mistake when I started with live rock. He's getting too big.

Deb

http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-dnw-110-br-recirculatingbr-protein-skimmer-983.html
This skimmer would be one which your tank could grow into.
Also i would Get Flow! fast, thats going to be a big help in getting the bad stuff to the surface. Maxijets are a good way to go for Cheap. I would'nt add anymore livestock untill you have more flow and a skimmer. Your tank might be still cycling as well! 3 months with low flow will slow the process...

Tell us Exactly what equip you have that way we might be able to guide ya. The dragonette may need to go to an established system due to there diet, unless you can get her to eat frozen food or she will die.

Welcome to the world of reeffing my friend! This hobie insists on patience.

Reefferman.

OH and DONT USE RIO powerheads, they like to explode in your tank. Flow Bro! ASAP you need the gases to get to the surface.

Welcome and well done for getting off to a great start!. Looks like a decent starter tank (my first tank was 3 gallons:D) Not all of us are Bill Gates yet love the hobby and frankly I am more impressed with those who successfully have fun and do it on the cheap than the deep pockets who "buy their stairway to heaven"

OK lets see, small fish load to start, excellent!

10% water change every other week, wish I was that punctual.

Hand feeding the anemone, that is good., but doesn't really need too much food. It will let you know if it needs more or less based on color, size, movement, and if it fully consumes the meal. Seabae anemones, yes they can be tough, but well fed and or well lit and they can do fine. I have a friend with one of the brightest happiest ones I have ever seen and he doesn't even use test kits, just a lot of love and good karma. Keep in mind, without vastly better circulation, the anemone will die.

Dragonet? Hmmmmm, that is a toughy. Not a beginner fish and more die than make it unless in a larger reef with a MOUNTAIN of live rock and or sand bed. They can be taught to eat other foods, but even that is a bit advanced. Perhaps you could trade it in on an easier fish or some snails and hermits for now?

More powerheads always are good. The better the water flow the happier. (unless direct in the animals face)The Hydor korilias are pretty cheap and the SEIOs are awesome. Each excellent for the money and can be found used if you are diligent. With what you have, the critters will gradually die. Skimmers are the way to go even if a cheapie to start.

All in all, would give you a B+, keep up the good work and ask any question anytime.

Mike

Last edited:
So many mistakes that your LFS must be happy with your spending and him alone.
Flow is very important for PH control and healthy oxygen levels and nitrate and phosphate buildup. Then you need a skimmer for ammonia control. The dragonet will die after your pod population drops below its nutretional needs and it starves slowly to death.
Water circulation means the water in the tank flows in a circular motion then the oxygen level is provided from a gas exchange at the surface from good water movement.

Back