Newbie setting up a 29g salt tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dawgwe1

Setting up a salt tank beginning of next month. I have done quite a bit of research and talked to others in the hobby. I have a 29g tank with a prizm skimmer, compact florescent lighting with two 96 watt lights, and have decided to use a HOB filter with carbon ony and not using the bio wheel option. I plan to upgrade to a sump at some point.

End of the month I will be ordering the sand, salt, rock and other things. The plan is to have a few fish with soft corals, some crabs, anenomes. This of course will be over a long period of time.

Glad to be part of the web site and have done a lot of reading on here. I am down south in the Graham/Spanaway area south of Puyallup. Any helpful suggestions regarding live stock or set up is always appreciated.

Wayne

Welcome to RF !!!!

Great to hear you are doing research BEFORE you set up the tank.
I would suggest you borrow/purchase a copy of the following book:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist

This is in my library of fish books and after 13 years of this hobby, I still use it.

What type of fish do you plan on keeping? The reason I ask is I do not know if the current skimmer will be able to keep up with the bio load. Something to consider....

current list (subject to change of course)

one or two clown fish
royal betta
cardinal
blenny
goby

open to any skimmer suggestions or live stock suggestions. Only a 29 gallon tank

Thanks

We also have a Prizm Pro skimmer, and it seems to me it is way too wimpy for us. We have 95 gallons to cover, though. Thinking of getting an CPR Aeroforce. Anyone have a review on it?

Welcome to RF!!! :D On the skimmers, we have a skimmer section which you can find here http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220 Probably your best bet would be to start a thread there dedicated to your skimmer questions to get the best possible feedback on it. Where the Prizm skimmer is concerned, can't say that I've heard of much people using them here so can't quite comment on it. Nonetheless, I'm sure some of the others will have some feedback for you on it. :)

Good luck with the setup!

Welcome to the board and the hobby. Yep, take you time, it is on your side.
PJ cardinals are tough, but Bangais are a bit delicate at times.

Get a skimmer bigger than your needs in case you feel like upgrading. For a small tank, I love the Eshoppe skimmers.

YES, Welcome aboard Reef Frontiers. Sounds like your off to a good start and should enjoy this hobby/addiction as much as most of here. The Eshopps HOB skimmer would be a great/cost effective upgrade for you and you might also look into eventally changing out your HOB filter to a HOB refugium to add volume and some macro algae and even your heater (if it fits). Your fish wish-list is probably a little much of a bio-load for a 29g unless you stay with the smallest of the species or plan on going to a larger system.

Happy Reefing, Todd

Welcome to Reef Frontiers! Looks like a great start! I would also agree with Todd in that the Eshopps Skimmers are awesome! I recently purchased one for my 20g and it is working great!

Best of luck, Luke

Thanks for all of the replies. I will take a look at the eshopps skimmers. Coolhand - what kind of live stock do you have in your 20g?

Eshopps are good, may want to also look at the Reef Octopus HOB..I have one on my 40g and it does a good job.

Welcome to RF.

If you plan on upgrading to a sump in the future, why not wait another month and just have it be part of your set up? It will allow you more opportunities with skimmers, it will keep your heater out of your DT, and you can also get one that will/can double as a fuge.

Only reason I bring this up, is you have a HOB overflow you can purchase (Sometimes they stop working and you end up with a flood) or you can drill your tank and build an internal overflow (Safer for power outages and a little easier to maintain IMO.) And above all once you have your tank set up, it's a lot more difficult to modify, add onto etc than if you just incorporate it into the initial set up of your tank.

I would prefer to drill the overflow to avoid a possible flood. Do you know where I can get it drilled in the Tacoma/Puyallup area? It is a 29 gallon tank - what size holes would you recommend.

I would want a 3/4" to 1" drain. Depending on if you use Scd 80 bulkheads or Scd 40 will depend on the hole size.

First you're going to want to call/email your tank mfgr to verify the tank is not tempered.

I used to see posts last summer that a couple of glass shops down on the south end would have $5 a hole days. I would check around with your LFS.

I thought myteemouse drilled holes, or I might be thinking of another member down there. Several people have offered to help others with getting holes drilled in their tanks.

Definitely be careful with stocking the 29 gallon with fish. There is not as much room left after your live rock goes in. Fewer or smaller fish will be better, especially to control everything that comes with food, poop, etc (bioload). Good luck and enjoy!

Back