Nitrates/TDS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jc130b

I've read a bunch about using tap water and RODI and need some questions answered in english (simple so I can understand LOL)

I use a RODI and my TDS is 13 is that too high? My tap water TDS is 57?
What does a RODI unit remove from the water?
Does a RODI unit remove nitrates?
Tank water has .025 amoina and nitrates are 180+, (new tank setup with about 20 gals used water and live rocks no aminals in tank) are the nitrates so high from my RODI water?
Thanks

Sounds like you need to change your filters I change my filters when I get 5 Tds.
What type of test kit are you using?
There are some salts that produce ammonia. Also your or could have had some die off
Also what kind of sand are you using?
Are you using a hob filter or canister filter?

Sounds like you need to change your filters I change my filters when I get 5 Tds.
What type of test kit are you using?
There are some salts that produce ammonia. Also your or could have had some die off
Also what kind of sand are you using?
Are you using a hob filter or canister filter?

Yea I'm over due for changing my filters, I just got done emailing for a price quote for all the filters. The test kits I'm using are Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. The salt I'm using is instant ocean but I have maybe 10 gals worth left and I'm going to change brands, not sure which brand I'm going to try. I can't remember the kind of sand I got, I might have the package at home I will have to check on that. And for the filter I'm using a hob bakpak it is new and so far it is picking up very little.

I've read a bunch about using tap water and RODI and need some questions answered in english (simple so I can understand LOL)

I use a RODI and my TDS is 13 is that too high? My tap water TDS is 57?
What does a RODI unit remove from the water?
Does a RODI unit remove nitrates?
Tank water has .025 amoina and nitrates are 180+, (new tank setup with about 20 gals used water and live rocks no aminals in tank) are the nitrates so high from my RODI water?
Thanks

Go to the resource library and read up on the nitrogen cycle. If your tank is new what your seeing is normal. I'd suggest some water changes and not changing salt IO is one of the better affordable salts. You still have ammonia from die off and your nitrates are spiking. Test your nitrite to get a better picture of what is happening.

Don

Go to the resource library and read up on the nitrogen cycle. If your tank is new what your seeing is normal. I'd suggest some water changes and not changing salt IO is one of the better affordable salts. You still have ammonia from die off and your nitrates are spiking. Test your nitrite to get a better picture of what is happening.

Don

I tested nitrite at the smae time and it was 0ppm. I will rerun the test in a couple of hours. I was going to do a water change tomorrow I was thinking of about 25 gals, is that good?

Sounds like your tank is in the middle of it's cycle. You should see ammonia start to fall off and nitrates reach a peak. At that point, water changes will be the most effective way of reducing your nitrates.

If you're actually getting nitrates from your RO/DI water, it's definitely time to change your filters.

RO/DI units will remove 99% of all impurities, from your tap water, including nitrates and phosphates.

I'm using a 5 stage RO/DI filter. My clean water always reads zero. Forgot the waste water reading, 45 or 145 or something like that.

Is it supposed to be zero? Or is my TDS meter messed up?

I'm using a 5 stage RO/DI filter. My clean water always reads zero. Forgot the waste water reading, 45 or 145 or something like that.

Is it supposed to be zero? Or is my TDS meter messed up?

When I bought and hooked up my RO/DI it was zero. But I neglected my system and haven't changed the filters in a couple of years.

Back