Not-so-mad-March Madness - 15 days of Q&A - Contest Answer Thread!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nothing worked for me except my copperband. =( I tried boiling water, vinegar, manually removing, and covering them with epoxy. They find a way to come back.

Hmmm...I think we all missed question 13. I was sleeping o_O

For what it's worth, though, I'd say your dKH is fine (on the lower end, but in general it is suggested to aim between 8 and 12). Your Mg. is also fine, as it is recommended to have b/w 1250 and 1350 ppm's. But your calcium is low - natural seawater has Ca levels around 420. To raise your calcium, you can do:

Water change
Add calcium chloride
Add Fiji Gold Coral and Live Rock Supplement
Add liquid calcium supplement (like Kent's, C-balance, Seachem reef complete, etc)
Kalkwasser
I don't know anything about calcium reactors, but I would imagine there is something you can change out in them, like if it is too old and needs to be replaced.

Do a large water change.

You could also dose a calcium supplement or kalkwasser to raise the Calcium, which is what is out of balance here. Raising the Ca will also raise the dKH though, to the higher end of acceptable (which is why I suggested a water change.)

You are not balanced, but are in what's known as zone 3. This is typically caused by an overdose in Alkalinity. The best course of action would be to raise your Calcium, while watching your Alk. Once you have your Calcium closer to a proper level, between 380 and 430, you should slightly raise your Alkalinity. You Magnesium level is just fine, if slightly high. Let it fall naturally.

Dose Ca using a calcium supplement,like randy's recipe, brs, and many others that will not raise the Alk. The Alk and Mag are in the proper balance.

If it's not too late to slide this in...

Alk and Mg are fine as is, so add a calcium supplement to bring Ca up into ~400 range.

You are not balanced, but are in what's known as zone 3. This is typically caused by an overdose in Alkalinity. The best course of action would be to raise your Calcium, while watching your Alk. Once you have your Calcium closer to a proper level, between 380 and 430, you should slightly raise your Alkalinity. You Magnesium level is just fine, if slightly high. Let it fall naturally.

I like returnofsid's response best ;) - Although all of your answers are great! Basically, CA is out of balance, do something that is appropriate for your tank to level it back out!

And, the leaderboard... since I was sneaky I gave you guys a few extra hours and accepted all responses before 9 AM :)

kevnkev 190
jrgilles 185
eww 140
returnofsid 116
SaltwaterNoobs 90
krisfal 52
spllbnd2 13
rukis 13
mgdmirage 15
mercenary-grunt 3
coolwaves 3

Pyramidellid snails (who I just learned are not true snails, but are opisthobranchs - the group that also includes nudibranchs and other sea slugs)

pyramidellid snails, better known as pyrams to hobbyists, and include members of the genera Pyrgiscus, Turbonilla and Tathrella (Cumming 1998).

And, the answers are: Pyramidellid snails - manual inspection, cleaning, some predatory wrasses, good water quality, quarantining in special containers (to keep the clam away from the sandbed), and freshwater dips are some common treatment practices to ride yourself of these pests....

Back