o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

moonpod said:
Bernie, it's really not about "winning" as looking at functionality and plusses and minuses. Also, it's by no means "controlled", so...anyhoo, in the first batch, the AquaC "won". In this run, the MR3 isn't even running so....

Doc. what do you mean AquaC won.who else was in the class?

The GEO custom of mine (which I think wasn't "tuned" b/c I KNOW it'll do better than it did in Dave's comparo) and a skimmer that was homemade and didn't work.

We are seeing some results now and some skimmmers that dont seem to be working so well. Then it we see posts about how this is not set right, need to tweek that, keep adjusting the flow, or water level is set too high. I am moving more and more to the KISS ideas of I will use a "good" skimmer that does not take a Phd in mechanical eng. to keep it running at its best.

Yeah, but c'mon, needlewheels, in general, are pretty friggin' simple to setup. Interestingly, the AquaC 400 ran really, really well, as does the ETSS in Dave's system, and those are skimmers that are general felt to be "difficult" to tune, which is like I said, interesting.

How is the euro reef doing? WHat is the order of skimmer test now. I noticed that the euro reef did not compete in the first round. Also can we get some feed back on how well they previous skimmers tested?

ETSS is really skimming better than the others?

I think you need to measure the salinity of the skimmate with a refractometer to see how much of the skimmate is water from condesation. THose skimmers that put alot of air in the water will produce more skimmate due to condesation.Those that pull more from the water should refract light more due to organics concentrated.

Organics will NOT make the refractive index less!!

Hey anyone checked the webcam lately? It looks like Dave got the MR3 on line b/c the entire neck and cup is filled with nasty looking stuff....

Hey Guys,

The second round is officially under way. Today (Monday Jan 3) I went and cleaned all the skimmers.

I got the electrical issue solved on the MRC and it has been cranking.

When cleaning the skimmers today, the Grotech smelled like dead fish, which makes me wonder if I lost a couple of fish.

This round is really good - The skimmers are all producing well and there are 3 different designs at work currently.

The opinions for round 1 have finally been published. I can't figure out how to place the data tables in a thread - So for the moment you can find them at:

www.o2manyfish.com/skimmers/round_1.htm

None of the scores, reviews or opinions are mine! As a distributor for Deltec lots of people were concerned that my opinions might be biased.

Also I purchased a new webcam. It should arrive in the next couple of days. It will allow you guys to control the camera and pan/tilt and zoom.

I got the bug after playing with salsakings camera. I have one camera currently on my display tank. You can play with it at www.o2manyfish.com/camera.htm

The lights on the tank don't turn on till after 4:30pst - So nothing to see to watch till the evening.

I also am trying to get my Aquacontroller integrated onto the webcam page - If anyone is an Aquacontroller expert please email me.

Dave B

The cam looks good! I think the MRC's lid need to be closed all the way. I can see it over flowing on the flange side. Looks like every skimmer is performing well. Hmmmm, i wonder who will win this round.

reeffan

Reeffan - Thanks for noticing the MRC - Just went back out in in the mud and fixed it -- LOL

A little more rain out here and I may convert the system to KOI !!!

Tonight we got some hail and in a matter of minutes the 1500g went from 75deg to 72deg.

Dave B

Hey Dave,
Kudos to you for putting all of this on. The logisitics behind this are mind boggling. I think you are doing a fair job of being impartial in this and just posting what you see as the facts and using others opinions is a good plan. My only nit pick is the web page of round one results. The tables are on top of one antoher and its kinda tough to read the results.
At any rate, great work on all of this and please keep it up,
Nick

Maxx,

Thanks for the Kudos. I am putting the opinions into layers using Front Page. On all my computers (5+) the pages are clear and nothing overlaps.

Is anyone else having this problem ?

Dave B

Dave, nothing overlaps for me but the comments section is staggered (each block moves to the right 1/2 of the block above)??

I guess I didn't give any comments for 2 of the skimmers. I must have been busy with my kids at that time. Sorry guys!

Today your skimmer cam is slanted. Reminds me of the old Batman show.

Ken,

Camera is fixed-- Looks like a bird landed on it :)

Andy from MRC called today and we talked about the way things were shaping. Andy is going to be sending me a newly designed recirculating skimmer --- How cool is that !!

Dave B

That should be interesting... A recirc. Beckett. Or is it a Beckett. I heard they stopped producing the Beckett valves about the middle of last year.

The recirc Beckett from Andy should be interesting. I asked him two months ago about modding the MR4 I bought about a year ago and all he responded with via e-mail was "interesting", no suggestions or anything. That really turned me off and was the deciding factor in getting my Deltec.

Not the best customer service in that respect from MRC, IMO. I hope the test with the MR skimmer goes well so it might be easier to sell my MR4.......

VegasMike said:
The recirc Beckett from Andy should be interesting. I asked him two months ago about modding the MR4 I bought about a year ago and all he responded with via e-mail was "interesting", no suggestions or anything. That really turned me off and was the deciding factor in getting my Deltec.

Not the best customer service in that respect from MRC, IMO. I hope the test with the MR skimmer goes well so it might be easier to sell my MR4.......

Interesting
:lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

Back