• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

OBD Signature Protein Skimmer Owners Forum

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How loud would yall say your air pumps are? Mine seems louder than what ive heard from other people say. I have mine in a semi-enclosed tv stand next to my aquarium and it definitely drowns out everything else on the aquarium (mag drive return pump, 2 vortechs, etc). Its really annoying while watching tv. So, im kind of thinking about building a box for it with some sound dampening material but with fans to make sure it has enough air and heat exchange. Just curious what other people think.

I put mine out in my garage and ran about 12' of air line to it.

I'd be a little worried about gas fumes from my garage. Although I may consider moving it to another room.
My pump has actually quieted down a lot but it seems that when i turn it off and then back on after doing a water change it seems to be loud for a few hours. Oh well, i guess ill just leave it on from now on while doing a change.

Mike, I did the changes to the outflow pipe like you suggested.
I started it back up with the outflow gate valve all the way open like you said.
After a few minutes I had to close it up several turns to get the water level up above the black ring.
We'll see how that works after a couple days.

I mentioned on the phone that I have the outflow pipe extended a little longer ( horizonal) so that it puts the clean water into the next chamber ( refugium).
I currently have a pvc 90 on the end of the pipe and a short pipe on the 90 so the water enters the refugium under water.
I did this to minimize splashing, noise, and salt spray build up.
The end of this pipe is under the water level about a 1/2"-3/4".
This level never changes much.
Should the outflow water exit above any water level in the sump?
I was thinking ( when I set it up this way) that as long as the water level stays steady, that using the gate valve for adjustments, is all I need to worry about.

If the output pipe is below the water line then it will back pressure the water coming out of the pipe. Ok so the water level in the skimmer should be as high as the middle of the horizontal exit tube from the get go, no matter what the input of the water is Marty?? Thats kind of a physics thing right??

If the output pipe is below the water line then it will back pressure the water coming out of the pipe. Ok so the water level in the skimmer should be as high as the middle of the horizontal exit tube from the get go, no matter what the input of the water is Marty?? Thats kind of a physics thing right??

Should I remove the pipe that goes down into the water?

Ok so the water level in the skimmer should be as high as the middle of the horizontal exit tube from the get go, no matter what the input of the water is Marty?? Thats kind of a physics thing right??

Your talking about this with the air off, right?

So I put in a new horizonal pipe, 1-1/2" taller. The center of the horizonal pipe is now at 15-1/2". The top of the black ring is 14-3/4". The water level in the skimmer with both inlet and outflow valves wide open the water in the skimmer was under the black ring. ( didn't measure it yesterday).
So I did have to close the outflow valve somewhat to bring the water level ( without air) in the skimmer body a 1/2" above the black ring.

hmmm past due cleaning?
20131219_004700.jpg

Your talking about this with the air off, right?

So I put in a new horizonal pipe, 1-1/2" taller. The center of the horizonal pipe is now at 15-1/2". The top of the black ring is 14-3/4". The water level in the skimmer with both inlet and outflow valves wide open the water in the skimmer was under the black ring. ( didn't measure it yesterday).
So I did have to close the outflow valve somewhat to bring the water level ( without air) in the skimmer body a 1/2" above the black ring.

I just read this... thats not possible unless under normal operating parameters. There is only one explanation i can see. Water is escaping somewhere else out of the body of the skimmer. We all know water will find its own level, the water in the skimmer body HAS to be at least at the level of the bottom of the horizontal exit flow pipe, which you say is 15-1/2". So it seems to me that water is seeping out somewhere else, or the pump is not putting out what it should, I dont know, this seems strange. Have you figured it out yet?

I just read this... thats not possible unless under normal operating parameters. There is only one explanation i can see. Water is escaping somewhere else out of the body of the skimmer. We all know water will find its own level, the water in the skimmer body HAS to be at least at the level of the bottom of the horizontal exit flow pipe, which you say is 15-1/2". So it seems to me that water is seeping out somewhere else, or the pump is not putting out what it should, I dont know, this seems strange. Have you figured it out yet?

I think Marty has has taken the skimmer to Mike for a bit of R&D. Unfortunately there is something amiss with Marty's skimmer.
I talked to Mike a week or so ago, and he has contacted the air pump manuf. and the stone manuf. and their specs have changed. So I am pretty sure there needs to be an adjustment made in the size of the air pump. The water pump needs to be what it is for the contact time. The air stones needs tweeked, (I think)

Mike will figure it out and make it right.

I think Marty has has taken the skimmer to Mike for a bit of R&D. Unfortunately there is something amiss with Marty's skimmer.
I talked to Mike a week or so ago, and he has contacted the air pump manuf. and the stone manuf. and their specs have changed. So I am pretty sure there needs to be an adjustment made in the size of the air pump. The water pump needs to be what it is for the contact time. The air stones needs tweeked, (I think)

Mike will figure it out and make it right.

Yep, Mike is tinkering with it now,.
I fiddled with it and was starting to think something was amiss especially after going up and seeing Carlos's skimmer in action.
Tale of two different skimmers.
He pm'd me the other day and seems like it is close to being ready.

So far my Skimmer is doing great have to empty every week with about half cup fulld with some pretty stinky gunky muddy like, I did spent more than a few days fine running, using some cheapo small water filter valves, I know with the little experience that I have that every sigle set up is different, based on set up configuration, bioload, etc, hopefully stays that way for a long time knock on wood

Just found this....................... ok, I am a little slow. My skimmer went into service on the 25th of July, and I have never looked back. It actually took about 2 months to break in, but every week to 10 days I empty out over 1/2 cup full of some of the nastiest stuff I have been around. It makes my old dual beckett skimmer smell like roses.

IMG_6617_zps7e36067e.jpg

Just found this....................... ok, I am a little slow. My skimmer went into service on the 25th of July, and I have never looked back. It actually took about 2 months to break in, but every week to 10 days I empty out over 1/2 cup full of some of the nastiest stuff I have been around.
]

Just noticed this post.

My skimmer cup has never seen more than a 1-1/2"

Mike sent you a pm.

Back