Obnoxious, loud gurgling/surging on overflow standpipe

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

this is the standpipe in the overflow from my 30 gallon cube to my sump. Every 15 seconds or so the water level in the overflow drops down (like a toilet flushing) and makes an obnoxious loud gurgling flushing noise (also like a toilet flushing). I have this problem with it occasionally and sometimes it resolves itself after a day or two but starts up again later. I can't stand it, it's so loud.

When I adjust the air valve on the top of the standpipe I can make the loud gurgling be continuous instead of periodic but I can't make it go away.

How can I fix this? Any ideas? I can barely stand to be in the same room with this thing it's so annoying. :|

Jan,

Airline tubing is your best bet. Just make sure you secure a cable tie to one end so that the tube doesn't go completed down the pipe. :)

Kirk

Thanks for your replies.

This thing actually is a durso standpipe with an elbow extending below the waterline, a cap on the top of the main pipe, and a hole drilled in the top of the cap. The hole has a little air valve in it to restrict the flow. It's been quiet for a long time but every now and then it does this thing. I was over at Duane's (Trido) today and he suggested that the air valve may be plugged with something and I should soak it in vinegar. I'll give that a try.,...

..or just measure the length of the air value and replace with a new one..problem solved.
:)

Jan,
The reason it is "flushing" is because the airhole in the top has restricted some (maybe due to salt creep). you just need to open up the hole again. You can use the drill bit that originally was used to drill the hole to clean it up again - otherwise you could drill it one size bigger if you wanted.

Mat

Hmm... I like the idea of have a valve there to restrict the air. Mine would would flush when there wasn't enough air, and gurgle when there was too much.
I just ended up using some silicone to plug a couple holes at a time until it got balanced. I like your way better.

My durso did the same thing and I found that drilling a small hole at the bottom of the drain pipe closest to the sump to release the air coming down the pipe worked best. my drain pipe doesnt run straight down but more at a 45degree angle so I drilled a small air line sized hole at the upper side of the drain pipe as you want the air to release instead of the water and I then pushed an air line into the hole and let it hang over the sump just incase any water decided to come out of it. it is the same principle as trying to empy a 2 liter bottle(or shot gunning a can of beer) it chugs with no air intake/outlet so if you poke a hole in the bottom and hold it upside down it drains much faster.

Back