octopus..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
I just got a call from a new client who wants to set up a small octopus in a 20 gallon regular. At first, I said no. But I thought about it and it could be done if the top was fully enclosed, with a latch. And 2 holes were drilled in each side at water level, with one tube going down to the sump, and one for the return. Both would be mesh covered.

I told him I could build a setup(hopefully more like 55 gallons or more), but I told him it would be hard to feed.

thoughts on this?

one suggestion is VELCRO to prevent Wandering Octopus

:)You can also line any areas where escape is possible(remember that they can fit through any opening that they can get their beak- like teeth through) with velcro strips, "pokey" side out.
For some reason, the animal does not like to touch or cross with its soft body.
Worked for me on an open topped 55. (I had her six months and then she laid eggs and stopped eating)

Quick thawed Frozen clams in the shell

At the seafood counter of your local supermarket, CLAMS. FREEZE solid and take one out as needed and quick thaw in a mug of hot water, drop clam into tank and I guarantee that it will be "smelled" and investigated immediately. The Octopus will open the shell for you if it isn't already open after thawing.

my biggest fear would be not having the water right and the thng just not wanting to eat and is stressed. New poeple sometimes dont learn quick how much water evaporates from the sump. Even with a lid on the tank(which none of my tanks do).

Also people always go crazy over nitrate spikes and always call me over beacuse they don't realize its not a deadly disease for well established fish only tanks.

Me and a friend keep blue ringed octopus his is in a 14 gallon nano cube and mine is in a 270 gallon full reef In my expierence there has been no attempt by this spieces to escape at any time from either tank or at the tank at the lfs they seem to be very docile and are small enough to be content in their surroundings. I can see a problem with keeping water conditions good in such a small tank unless a sump was involved to create more water volume. the nano cube has had no problems yet but there is easy access to the back area of the tank so this may pose a problem. I do like the clam idea I may try this. Keep me posted I am interested to know what happens as there are not many of us who keep octos

This is my plan for a good tank

So a 20 with a good top, and a sump with skimmer would do the trick. the problem I see is getting the water in out.

I don't thing an overflow would work, but a simple covered pipe may be able to just let the water run down from the side, tilted slighy upward, all in the tank. the return pump would have to be slow, as to not overflow if it gets clogged. Or down overflows like that in case one just stopped for whatever reason.

How does that sound?

u do know that blue rings are very very very dangerous i dont think u would be as luck as the dude talking about rabbit fish spines the other day if that got u
im very intriuges about this idea of verlcro on the top of the tank do u silmpy lay a strip down on the glass lip? do u think this would work for eels also?

astroturf works, as well, for keeping octopi from climbing out of tanks. their suckers can't attach to the blades of the 'grass' or velcro. I wouldn't expect this to work with eels.

I am definatly aware of the dangers of the octo and am always aware when sticking my hands into the tank, also i use a pair of tongs mostly to get to the bottom of the tank.

Wow that is very risky having a blue ringed octo especially in a tank that big never know where it could be. They can bite you in an instance and its pretty much over for you if you don't get to the ER quick, but they are very beautiful octos.

If you have to go into the set up I would always use a good pair of rubber gloves. I think it's risky to have this particular animal even for an expert. I can only suggest extreme caution. But i love the look of blue rings non the less!

I am definatly aware of the dangers of the octo and am always aware when sticking my hands into the tank, also i use a pair of tongs mostly to get to the bottom of the tank.

Blue rings and pit bulls (if that's your dog in your aviator). I like your stile!

ya hes mine, a little on the edge I guess but life wouldnt be worth living if you didnt have a little fun, all in all the dog and the octo are very docile and the rest of my reef is mostly wussy fish so I guess thats a little bit of an offset, its that ying yang balance thing one or two deadly things and one or two wuss things it all equals out

WA coral, does your blue ring try to eat your fish or clean up crew. That sound like one bad tank.

Here is what will happen if you do get bit!!!!
You should wear very heavy gloves when in the tank. They can bite through a wetsuit if this gives you an idea of how strong their bite is....

What to do if you get bit!

The bite of the blue-ringed octopus may be painless but it is definately deadly. Its venom contains some maculotoxin which is more violent than any animals found on land. This poisen is 10,000 times more potent than cyanide. Upon being bitten, the victim's nerve conduction is stopped and paralysis sets in after a few minutes. Paralysis is then followed by death. Some symtoms are as follows:

*Nausea

*Blindness

*Loss of all other senses

If you do see someone get bit you should immediatly call 911, and then apply compression to the wound as if it was a snake bite. Artificial respiration should also be started as soon as possible. The only way to survive is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison has worked its way out of the system. There is no anti-venom to date.

Quick Facts

The blue rings are only visible when the Blue-ringed octopus is about to attack
It has a tiny, parrot like, beak that can bite through your wetsuit

The Blue-ringed octopus is only the size of a golf ball but still carries enough poison to kill 26 humans in minutes
The poisin is not injected but comes from it's saliva
They are found in shallow coral and rock pools in Australia

Last edited:
he does get to some of my hermits but havent seen him take a shot at the fish yet even when they swim right next to him I do know that it is possible for them to take a small fish as prey though.

Back