Octupus Xtreme skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bc_slc

Anyone out there seen the SWC Xtreme line of skimmers in action? They are newly upgraded and released from Marine Solutions. For the price, they look to be pretty amazing. Anyone actually seen on in action? I have a few questions.

Mat

hopefully someone has one. I have a recirculating nw-150 and am not too impressed. Mayby an upgrade is needed.

I thought that the SWC 160 was different than the new Octopus Xtreme 150 coming out? Am I mistaken?

Interesting. Looks bigger than I thought but looks like it makes a bunch of foam. The pump looks pretty different from anything I have seen before. I wonder if the pump could be located remotely and then plumbed a few feet...

Mat

the octo xtreme and the SWC are different. The SWC's design is more efficient and complex. It also has the much better pump!

Well, I'll be able to post some pics and answer some questions by the weekend. I have the Marine Solutions (SWC) Xtreme 200 on it's way to me. It should be landing in Seattle Thursday or Friday.

I'll keep you posted.

Chris

You made the right decision there. Ive got my eye on one also.
Well, I'll be able to post some pics and answer some questions by the weekend. I have the Marine Solutions (SWC) Xtreme 200 on it's way to me. It should be landing in Seattle Thursday or Friday.

I'll keep you posted.

Chris

I sure hope so, with the pre-order I am getting it for $350 delivered. You can't beat the price with the reported performance. That sicce pump should be a safe bet.

I may be a guinea pig for others, but I needed a serious skimmer at a reasonable price and I hope this is it.

Cheers,

Chris

We just put one of the little ones with the pump underneath on my buddies 55. It skimmed right out of the box, but the pump was loud. The mesh mod had to be redone. It looked like they tried to save 1/2 cent and were stingy with the mesh. The venturi tube fell out and the hose needs to be replaced its to thin walled. Other than that it worked fine and now that the mesh is fixed the pump is nearly silent. Its been a week other than cracking the skimmer cup by dropping it in the sink during cleaning, it made it a week so far. You will have to handle it like a newborn baby but it sure makes alot of foam.

Don

So whats your take on it Don? And are we talking about the Octo, or the MSX?

We just put one of the little ones with the pump underneath on my buddies 55. It skimmed right out of the box, but the pump was loud. The mesh mod had to be redone. It looked like they tried to save 1/2 cent and were stingy with the mesh. The venturi tube fell out and the hose needs to be replaced its to thin walled. Other than that it worked fine and now that the mesh is fixed the pump is nearly silent. Its been a week other than cracking the skimmer cup by dropping it in the sink during cleaning, it made it a week so far. You will have to handle it like a newborn baby but it sure makes alot of foam.

Don

So whats your take on it Don? And are we talking about the Octo, or the MSX?

Its the msx. I think it skims well. It not my tank but the couple times ive seen it it was making nice foam and Mikes tank is pretty clean. For the price it works, after the repairs. If youve ever seen an asm its pretty darn flimsy but the msx is even more so. But thats what you get for the money. Cracking just falling in the sink is not a good sign. The cup body also warped when being rinsed in hot water out of the tap, but so did my asm, so dont get it warm.
If it was built out of good material I'd give it two thumbs up. Since its not I'd say its a good starter skimmer but save up and get better if you want something for the long term.

Don

I wonder how the octo extreme will compare then? I haven't heard anything bad about there material quality.

I wonder how the octo extreme will compare then? I haven't heard anything bad about there material quality.

From what I can tell and by looking at the photos they are almost identical in terms of the body and build quality. I did have one of the first octo's and it fell apart. But again you dont get much for that much money and these are entry level skimmers. Probably would get someone buy until they can afford to buy better.

Don

i love the sicce psk 2500 pumps, they are freaking awesome!!
if you do the mesh right, were talking 1200 lph of air @20w, some can even get it up to 1300 with a little venturi and outlet modification. and, you can use the inexpensive qo3000 as a replacement pump if it ever craps out on you.
but if your a noob, then this pump isnt for you... it will outperform anything in it's price/power range, create the finest bubbles and fattest foam head you ever saw (unless you own a bk), but it does have restart issues that will befuddle the typical equipment tard, or person unwilling to get their hands wet. mesh can be tricky...

and i like the new octopus design very much! unlike don, i think the build quality is good, and excellent if your going to actually compare it to an asm skimmer build quality, wich has the strength of uncooked pasta. the other thing too is that if you dont like their standard of quality, then you wont be buying any octopus, euroreef, xtreme or reeflo skimmers either, because the bodies are all coming out of the same factory. i think they are par for the coarse in that price range, and really, a great deal for the money your paying. if you want something that's going to be built like a tank then your not going to be looking at $200-$400 skimmers anyway because none of them are in that price range.
so all and all, if you can deal with having to mod the mesh on the pump and maintain it, and learn the secrets of restarting this pump, then your not going to beat the performance for the cash with any other skimmer on the market. and as for the "fragility" of the skimmer? i say whatever... be careful with your investment, all it does is sit in the sump unless you touch it..or go spend $500+ on a real skimmer...lol

these skimmers get the skimmerwhisperer seal of approval!!

Last edited:
then you wont be buying any octopus, euroreef, xtreme or reeflo skimmers either, because the bodies are all coming out of the same factory.

Isnt the euroreef made from 1/4 cell cast material? The reefflo is 1/4 cast. The xtreme is 3/16 chinese extrusion as is the octo.

I think they are fine for the money spent but they are definately fragile, but that seems to be the way skimmers are going now days. Even my expensive tunze is fragile.

Don

I am really excited to get this skimmer (arriving tomorrow). I have been looking forward to upgrading for quite awhile. Is there some information or a link you can provide about what is required to mod/maintain the mesh? Also, I have had some finicky pumps in the past for restarting, are there any tricks to a mesh modded pump? I know you need to trim so that it doesn't rub on the volute, but is there anything else?
thanks,
chris

Back