Octupus Xtreme skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seems to be hit and miss as i recieved my msx 200 yesterday as well ...plugged her in and away she went. I did get the crappy air hose with mine tho so i replaced that

Last edited:
Yeah I have to stop by Lowes today to get supplies for a project I am working on so I plan to pick up the replacement airline tubing. On RC it was revealed that they use that silicone tube for people who run ozone.

well, that's a bummer chad...hopefully they are quick and painless about replacement. let us know how they deal with it.

Well, I'll tell ya what....I just purchased this skimmer and received it today. First of all after unpacking it the bubble plate was chipped where the screw holds it down so that needs to be replaced, and the silencer was broken so it needs to be replaced. I also had to redo the mesh mod. Once everything was ok to give it a bath i got everything ready, plugged it in, and got shocked. The pump did not kick the POS surge protector I got but that really doesn't mean much since it fried the socket it was plugged into. Looks like it melted the top of the pump a little. So 1st impression of a skimmer that was about $390 shipped? Needs new bubble plate, silencer, and pump. Overall I am very unhappy with receiving something so expensive in such a condition. (Yeah its cheap compared to the competiton however it is still pricy for a piece of plastic.)

Well now its off to the whole game of trying to get a hold of them between x and x time since word all over message boards is that they are next to impossible to get a hold of.

Overall this wasn't Marine Solutions fault. The Sicce pump I got obviously had some sort of manufacturing defect. The pump still works, though after being zapped I think its best that me and this perticular pump go separate ways. :)

I think the bubble plate shouldn't be shipped in the skimmer. I have seen others who had the knob that holds the bubble plate down break during shipping.

The silencer could be easily fixed if I had the proper glue, however I dont really see the need to accept anything other than a brand new skimmer.

Luckily I really dont need this skimmer to work right away. I currently have an ETSS 800 which skims my tank just fine...I'm just trying to cut power consumption any way I can.

After reading some horror stories about getting a hold of these guys I was ready for some phone tag, however they answered on the very first attempt. So the pump, bubble plate, and silencer are all off to Marine Solutions to be replaced. Their site says "in the event you need warranty service, it will be your responsibility to return the defective item to Marine Solutions" so shipping set me back another $17. Guess this isn't the friendly free service I get everytime I have to send my xbox 360 in for repair. :)

Back