Ok the lids are off

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

auqua man

I took the glass lids off yesterday so I will see if there is any difference. On ph swing I still have a swing of 7.95-8.18 seems a bit big to me still. I am trying to keep a window open a crack. My new refugium is lit 24/7. KH is 9.3 cal 450 ppm Mag is 1350 ppm. Any ideas would be great.:)

Try reversing the photo period for the refug. Turn the light on 1 hour before the tank goes out and off 1 hour after the tank turns on. Not sure its going to do much with such a small refug. Your swing really isnt that bad its the overall ph that is a little low.

Don

Try reversing the photo period for the refug. Turn the light on 1 hour before the tank goes out and off 1 hour after the tank turns on. Not sure its going to do much with such a small refug. Your swing really isnt that bad its the overall ph that is a little low.

Don

Hi Don I upgraded the refugium to a 12 gal instead of the CPR one. Would it make a diffrence to have the refugium off in the day or on 24/7 I use it as a display also. Any ideas to up the overall ph. I am using Kent Marine Tech CB A&B almost daily now as my corals demand more.

Hi Don I upgraded the refugium to a 12 gal instead of the CPR one. Would it make a diffrence to have the refugium off in the day or on 24/7 I use it as a display also. Any ideas to up the overall ph. I am using Kent Marine Tech CB A&B almost daily now as my corals demand more.

Reverse lighting the fuge will help with the swing assuming there is enough thriving /growing macro.The additive will maintain ca and alk but yours is already in check. The alk part will boost ph but its a short term boost, short term meaning minutes so no help there.
Do a simple test just mix up a five gallon container of fresh mix and test it 24 hrs later leaving it in the same room as your tank.
If the ph is also low, then I'd run a co2 test. If its not and closer to 8.4 then I'd look at nutrients.

Don

LOL!! Hope she buys you something:p I agree with Don. Try an alternate photo period from the tank and see what happens. The cracked window may help as well. Let us know...:)

Thanks Don I will try it today and let you know the results. right now the wife is draging me out the door to Christmas shop.

Bummer. After twenty one years I no longer get put in the dog house if I dont go shopping with the wife. In fact I'm sure she would rather leave her whinny complaining husband at home.:)

Don

Bummer. After twenty one years I no longer get put in the dog house if I dont go shopping with the wife. In fact I'm sure she would rather leave her whinny complaining husband at home.:)

Don

I see you have mastered the shoping thing:lol:
I am using Kent Marine salt what do you use IO ?
Do you think the salt I mix in the 5 gal. bucket will have low ph because it wont be under the lights of the tank?

I see you have mastered the shoping thing:lol:
I am using Kent Marine salt what do you use IO ?
Do you think the salt I mix in the 5 gal. bucket will have low ph because it wont be under the lights of the tank?

I think the salt mix will have low ph if you have excess co2 in the house. If the salt mix has high ph like 8.4 then I'd say its a tank nutrient issue.
Yup Ive master shopping, laundry and a host of other duties that I'm no longer allowed to do. Its all about strategy.:)

Don

Yup Ive master shopping, laundry and a host of other duties that I'm no longer allowed to do. Its all about strategy.:)

Don

Yup. Once we have our paychecks "direct deposit", we are freed from a lot of responsibilities ...

Yup. Once we have our paychecks "direct deposit", we are freed from a lot of responsibilities ...

Na, I'm the dumb one she's the lawyer. Shrink her favorite sweater a few times, melt her tupperware in the dish washer, use a metal spoon on the new teflon pans, suck a sock into the vacuum................ the list goes on and on. It really is all about strategy.:lol:

Don

:lol: Hahahahaha!:lol: Ya know Don that works for us gals too.;) I no longer am in charge of laundry or vaccum. Can't even spell it.

Deb

I did the test and the ph is 8.00 in the fresh mixed water.So other than remove the door to the house I am not sure what to do now.The window has been open a crack all day.I have never seen the ph in my mix over 8.00
Could it be the salt? I use Kent M
Thanks for all the ideas Don at this point I am out. Do you think a cal reactor would help? Or airate the water? put the tank outside? lol

Last edited:
Na, I'm the dumb one she's the lawyer. Shrink her favorite sweater a few times, melt her tupperware in the dish washer, use a metal spoon on the new teflon pans, suck a sock into the vacuum................ the list goes on and on. It really is all about strategy.:lol:

Don
Come on! I don't believe that you, a person who could rewire and/or automate every single thing in your house, can convince your wife that you are not safe doing normal chores. I think she is just setting you up. Watch out ...

I did the test and the ph is 8.00 in the fresh mixed water.So other than remove the door to the house I am not sure what to do now.The window has been open a crack all day.I have never seen the ph in my mix over 8.00
Could it be the salt? I use Kent M
Thanks for all the ideas Don at this point I am out. Do you think a cal reactor would help? Or airate the water? put the tank outside? lol

You could use a Kalkwasser reactor or dripper set-up. This is what I'm going to resort to. You could use a huge air pump like the one I currently replacing with the kalk reactor. I replacing it because the diaphram keeps going bad but it does work when it works.

Don

Any chance you could run a tubing from outside to your skimmer? That way your skimmer would be drawing in air with (supposedly) less CO2.

Any chance you could run a tubing from outside to your skimmer? That way your skimmer would be drawing in air with (supposedly) less CO2.

On my 110 it takes nearly 2cfm pumped into the drain pipes to keep ph up.

Don

Back