OM 2-way Squirt

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

theJ

Anyone use one of these guys? I just hooked one up to replace my mod'd SCWD, and it works great! Except the bajillion micro bubbles, and LOTS of heat produced by the little motor.

Anyone else using one of these guys? Does the motor casing usually get pretty hot? Also, have you noticed issues with micro bubbles?

I did the best I could to tape the hell out of the fittings/plugs, and I am using the same locline I used before that didn't produce micro bubbles. Any thoughts?

9f76_1_b.JPG

hmm... think I should break it down and add more tape? I put so much on it was pretty difficult to even get the plugs/locline to screw into it.

About the motor being hot, did you notice a change in water temp? So far I have noticed a small bump (like 1 to 0.5 degrees) but we have also had issues with the heater in our house not shutting off, bringing the room temp to around 80, about 10 degrees warmer than usual.

You might also try using some silicone plumber's grease (the clear stuff, not the brown plumber's grease). A thin coating on the threads before wrapping two layers of teflon tape, and then a thin coating on top of the teflon tape.

Avoid excess layers of teflon tape (more than two) with plastic fittings. You increase the chances of cracking a fitting.

You don't want so much tape that its hard to get on, that can actually cause air bubbles. Another thing to remember with teflon tape is that you want the end of it pointing the opposite direction that you're going to tighten it. That way it doesn't unravel when you tighten it. If I were you, I would go get the liquid teflon and try it, just let it dry overnight at least so there's none floating around. Make sure you get the hardening kind, because theres a type that stays liquidy (Yes, I made up that word). Its made by Permatex, comes in a white toothpaste like tube (they sell smaller ones) and is found at automotive stores, possibly even home depot. I think it might be called sealing compound...Click Here

BTW, where did you get your OM 2-way and how much was it?

trade it

first you get a 5 gallon bucket and hang it from the ceiling........no 4 buckets hanging from the ceiling on timers.....lol just joshen ya:rolleyes:

I have the 8-way with hammerhead pump and it works great and have no issues with heat it's the best way to go i think

Haven't noticed any raise in temp, but the unit was in place from day one in the new system so it's hard to tell. I might look into the sealing compound thing because I had to use a ton of tape on the fittings; it's made me a bit uncomfortable, but it doesn't leak. I was going to replumb it here shortly anyway to accomodate a larger pump.

hmm... think I should break it down and add more tape? I put so much on it was pretty difficult to even get the plugs/locline to screw into it.

About the motor being hot, did you notice a change in water temp? So far I have noticed a small bump (like 1 to 0.5 degrees) but we have also had issues with the heater in our house not shutting off, bringing the room temp to around 80, about 10 degrees warmer than usual.

Do you have locline screwed into it so the LL is out of the water? LL can cause microbubble if not completly submerged.

Don

You don't want so much tape that its hard to get on, that can actually cause air bubbles.

Hmm didn't think of that..

Another thing to remember with teflon tape is that you want the end of it pointing the opposite direction that you're going to tighten it. That way it doesn't unravel when you tighten it.
Yea, I made sure to wrap counter-clockwise

If I were you, I would go get the liquid teflon and try it, just let it dry overnight at least so there's none floating around.

That stuff looks scary, I have 2 questions:
Is this inert/reef safe? Its made for metal fittings
Does it form a perm seal? I want to be able to break the OM down again, replace locline if i need, etc. I dont want to straight glue the locline to it.

BTW, where did you get your OM 2-way and how much was it?
I got it from Aquarium Specialty

Do you have locline screwed into it so the LL is out of the water? LL can cause microbubble if not completly submerged.

Don

I was thinking this in the back of my mind, although I don't really want to admit it could be part of the problem :/ I am using the same locline as before, which also was out of the water, and was not causing microbubbles.

The reason I don't want to admit it is because the way I have this squirt mounted, it is on top of my standpipe almost right where my sqwd was, just a little bit higher than that to be sure no salt spray/splash on the motor case.

If its the locline causing the issue I will have to figure something else out, like cut the standpipe a bit shorter, and use pvc instead of locline. Maybe some locline fittings on the end of the pvc, but it will be tough.

Here is a shot of the SCWD, the locline on the OM sits about 1in higher than this picture:

I'll try and get a shot of the OM tonight

theJ said:
That stuff looks scary, I have 2 questions:
Is this inert/reef safe? Its made for metal fittings
Does it form a perm seal? I want to be able to break the OM down again, replace locline if i need, etc. I dont want to straight glue the locline to it.

You will be able to get it off no problem, its meant to be removable.

It should be fine, its the basically the same stuff as teflon tape. I would just let it dry so there's no chance of a glob floating off into your tank. If you want to, put some on a fitting, let it dry and throw it in some tank water in a cup.

They use this on fittings on water jackets on engines Its meant to seal things like Temp Switches, Threaded Hose fittings, etc. so water shouldn't have any sort of effect on it.

MSDS states it has different plastics in it, and less than 3% by weigh titanium dioxide. I'd say its safe to use.

If you want, PM Boomer THIS link and ask him if its safe to use after its dry.

Oooh nice data sheet there. I think it would be a good idea to pass it by boomer to get an expert to sign off on it for us. This sounds like an awesome solution as long as its not the locline itself leaking. Thanks for the link!

How loud is this thing? I've heard an OM 4 that was pretty loud when it cycled. Too loud IMO to have out in the open (like inside your house), but okay if it was in a sump or dedicated fish room.

Honestly, I cant hear it at all. When I first got it I hooked it up for a dry run and didn't hear anything. the SCWD was noisy, with the little pinwheel gear spinning in there, but still un-noticeable. The OM is definitely quieter than the SCWD.

Just an update, I haven't sealed up the threads yet, and it seems like a lot of the microbubbles have gone. Giving time to let things 'slime up' as they say seems to have helped.

They are not -all- gone howeve3r, and my crystal clear water looks like 7-Up, and is not crystal anymore. I will let things hang for a while but in the interest of loosing the damn demon microbubbles, I am still open to suggestions!

I am thinking of ways to get this locline under water, but the only way i can get it submerged is to hang the OM lower/closer to the water (scary), drop a couple 90 bends in (already low on flow from the mag 9.5..) to get the locline under, or remove the locline entirely, and use some pvc with some sort of 'squished' end or fitting.

Back