OM Closed Loop & Return:110g SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
I need to finalize my plumbing on my 110gal tank and order everything THIS WEEK so here are the questions info, ect.

The tank is 60x18x24 acrylic with a large trapezoidal center overflow and a 36" stand. It will be predominantly sps with clams and small side helping of lps and ricordea, but for all plumbing purposes consider this an SPS tank. All plumbing is calculated at 1" except the Overflow drains.

The Closed Loop:

4way2.jpg

I am going to use an Ocean Motions four-way unit with a drum that fires out of two ports at a time. I assume each out let would have the reduction of about one 90degegree elbow, so two elbow for the OM. I plan on using a Sequence 1000 series 4300 with 1" outlets. According to a headloss calculator and some math adjusting for splitting the line at the OM unit from one 1" pipe to two 1" pipes that would come out to about 718gph out of each of the four outlets at any given time. Sounds like a lot huh, but it really isn't when you think about it in terms of the velocity of the water (feet per second). A a Maxi jet 1200 moves about 8FPS. If we see feet per second as (((gph/3600)*(231/Area))/12) then I get about 4.88 Feet Per Second out of each outlet which would be perfect.

Math is fun, right... ?:
Gph= gallon per hour of pump after head and backpressure adjustment
3600= being reduction of GPH to GP second
231= being cubic inches in a gallon of water
Area= being the outlet area of the pipe, in this case 1"
12= Of course, is the number of inches per foot

The sump and return lines:

Return.jpg

I am thinking I will use a Sequence Valueflo Dart for the return portion of the plumbing and am NOT going to use the seaswirls pictured to save some money for the pumps. I only need 100-1500 through the sump and according to a headloss calculator with 5 feet of head and the elbows a Dart will come out to about 1637, so that is 818.5 out of each far end out let. So that is 5.5FPS from each far end, sounds good to me!

Data on products:

Sequence 1000 Flow/Head/Wattage chart-
1000_series_chart.gif

Sequence Valueflo Flow/Head/Wattage chart-
Dart:
WP-MTDART.gif

Oceans 4-way Motions Device:
http://www.oceansmotions.com/4way.htm

Here ends my lecture on plumbing :lol:
Input is welcome and wanted. I want to wrapp this all up and get to work asap.

-Erik

Last edited:
Can you squeeze in an extra CL drain. Dont want to burn up the pump if it gets plugged. Also lower the suction so the snails can get off.

Don

After talking it over with Mojo I plan on having two inputs Don, just didn't have it on the drawing yet and am at work.

-Erik

Last edited:
Macbeth417 said:
I plan on having two inputs Don, just didn't have it on the drawing yet and am at work.

-Erik

No just two, the picture only shows one going to the AM2100.

Don

Yes, no?

Okay, after some more milling about and a call to Mike, this is looking like the final plan. Does anyone have a suggestions on spacing from the bottom and sides of the tank?

4way3.jpg

Any reason to be concerned with that many holes?

-Erik

No concern with that many holes Erik.

If it were me, i'd put the second input to the Ampmaster on the opposite side, instead of next to each other. This would at least get water moving in another area (being sucked in).

On the issue of spacing from the sides, for the bottom set of closed loop outputs, i would set the closest ones to the sides to about 7-9" away. For the top set, if you're looking to put them closer to the center, maybe 12"-14" away from the sides (the holes being closest to the sides). The other holes parallel to that can be up to you, depending on where you want to direct flow. Again, you can certainly put loclines and spread the flow inside the tank.

Just my opinions.

- Elmo

Back