Orange coraline Algae?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyDog2

Clam Eater
I recently took my 72gal bow front reef tank down and moved everything to a 180gal with 20gal refuge and 40gal sump. A few new pumps but mostly the same stuff. My rocks have very little pink and purple coralline algae but there is a lot of bright orange. It looks like coralline algae but I've never seen it before. Any ideas? I miss the pink and purple.

It's hard like coralline and plates over the rock. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• orangestuff.jpg
    orangestuff.jpg
    91.1 KB
Does that orange "disappear" under blue lighting like my pink and purple coralline does? If it doesn't, would you like to sell your me some.

I'm digging the orange...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Orange Coralline algae, way cool! Likes lower light. Hope it continues to grow for you as you could make some good coral moneys in the future :) Pretty rare to see it in the home aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

I have red coralline that starts out orange... Its brilliant orange for a few days, then turns to almost a brick red. How long has yours been orange?

That's a cool color coralline to have in the tank! Has it spread across the tank or just to neighboring rocks?

Thanks Bricky and Chichas01. I've been reading articles on lobophora algae and tend to agree that is probably the identity. Mine is just oranger than any I see pictured. Now the question is, is it bad or good. I found one online site that sells it for $10. fish don't seem to eat it yet urchins do consume it like they do coralline algae. It doesn't seem to be bothering any corals.

Back