Orange Finned Tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have not seen anything on this Fish. I have been looking pretty hard. It looks like a member of the Bristle tooth Tang family. I thought it was a Chevron tang with Body shape. The tail is longer with a hi-fin look shaped in a V. Can anyone teach me about this Fish?
Thanks in Advance,
Ed Hahn

Ed,
Could it be a orange striped tang, Ctenochaetus striatus, instead.
I saw an adult pic and it had orange fins. Definatly a bristle tooth.
I have a juvenile in my tank and love it.
30359DCP_1052-small-web-thumb.jpg

Could it also be a Tomini
Tom

Last edited:
Tom,
Thanks, but it had a Tang shaped body. The pointy nose with a protruding Orange Hi-finned Tail . I am not sure if that is it or not. That looks like a Surgeon fish to me. It does not look anything like the RC banner now. I appreciate your effort. It is something I have not been able to find. The body shape is similar to a Chevron tang. The colors are different. The tail is more pronounced orange with a dark colored body similar to a Scopus Tang. The dorsal and anal finns are a little longer than average tang.

Ed

Ed, I found an adult pic of the Striatus. Now that I look at it closer, I don't think it is what you described. Oh well back to the drawing board. :(

46154Ctenochaetus_cf_striatus.JPG

Tom

Piercho,
You're Good, That's it. Thanks for heads up. Now I can read more about this fish. It is a Tomini. The nose is long like a Tang right now. It must be young. I have never seen one of these in person.
Thanks again,
Ed

Better pic in Sepember's RTOTM article in RK mag, just up today. Considered this fish myself. Read in one source its fiercely territorial, but have read several personal accounts that it is peaceful. Note the max length at about 5", much smaller than most surgeons.

It is a Tomini. Hey Ed come to Oregon & see one.

Well Ed I have been wanting one of these guys for over a year now I found this one and had to have him! It was what you see is what you get. Pretty small I am worried, But It will be spoiled. I have been very Interested in the smaller Ctenochaetus species and I wanted one that wasn't Very common I have the Teaser picture I will post more after He settles In...:D

Piercho,
You're Good, That's it. Thanks for heads up. Now I can read more about this fish. It is a Tomini. The nose is long like a Tang right now. It must be young. I have never seen one of these in person.
Thanks again,
Ed

More pic's of My Ctenochaetus tominiensis

As promised This guy is settling in ok In my Tank A little smaller than promised but I will fatten Him up Not much bigger than a 50 cent piece
I think thats a good name for him "FiftyCent"
He seems to like staying close to my Orange/Pink Montipora Cap.

Ed,
I've had my Tomini for well over a year now. No territorial issues to speak of unless a fish was attempting to go to "his" favorite hang out, under a lava rock. Peaceful fish and one I can easily reccommend for a community tank.

Tomini-1_01-22-06.jpg

Tomini-1_01-21-06.jpg

Nick

Ed I have a tomini tang in my reef with a blue hippo and a yellow tang. everything is fine. cute little buggers in the pics

Back