Our Acan Collection

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

heres a few i want to share:)theyre alive:D
sorry for the dirty acrylic and crappy pic...
u have a nice varieties of acans there..love your avatar:)

Very nice. Your acans look healthy and happy.

yes in the pic they are not that fluffy but when they puff really big its really cute and they wiggle in the flow:)you really have a lot of acans:pim jealous:D:)
i am no near to your huge collections...:)
heres a few of mine...

keep them pics coming!:p

Attachments

• DSC03166.jpg
    DSC03166.jpg
    48.6 KB
Last edited:
luisse25 I really like the acan in your third picture. Is there some yellow mixed in with the red? I have one similar but it just needs more yellow. Hopefully I will get our acans moved over to their new tank by this weekend. Then I will be able to post some FTS of the whole collection.

luisse25 I really like the acan in your third picture. Is there some yellow mixed in with the red? I have one similar but it just needs more yellow. Hopefully I will get our acans moved over to their new tank by this weekend. Then I will be able to post some FTS of the whole collection.

yes the color is pinkish orange reddish with yellow ring..i won it at AA..heres a better pic on their site so u can see the detail...:)
daylight and actinic...

Attachments

• day glow ultra grade acan.jpg
    day glow ultra grade acan.jpg
    49.8 KB

i like the one in your avatar...:)

luisse25 that is a real nice rainbow acan. Here is our new Acan tank, it is a 30”x30”x16” diy glass tank with a wrap around shelf for frags or colonies. I decide to go with the black egg crate for the shelves, and Loc-line for the inputs. Tomorrow I will clean the tank front, add a thin layer of sand, move the light fixture from the other tank and start moving the corals. Here are some pictures first is dry tank, second is some detail of the shelves on the acrylic rail, and the third is with water flowing.

DSC_0828.jpg

DSC_0829.jpg

DSC_0831.jpg

nice set up!!!yes my rainbow acan get more brighter and colorful everyday i didnt know theres a neon pink color on it..heres pics..i like it...but i like your avatar better:p:)cant wait for more of your acan pics:p..

Thanks luisse25, I put the layer of sand in the tank this afternoon. I will move the corals tomorrow afternoon. The wife is excited to see them in the new tank, she says it will give her babies room to grow.

Now I am depressed, I moved the acans over to the new tank. It’s almost like parking a vw beetle in a 4 car garage. I even moved all our Acanthastrea echinata colonies to the tank on the back and one of the side shelves. I am going to move our favia colonies on the other side shelf this evening. I will probably keep them in there until I fill it up with Aussie acan either colonies or frags.

Palancar: can you please share your care tips for your acans. What kind of lighting do you use and your feeding? Some of the pictures seem to be in bright light - is that just for the pic or do you keep yours in brighter light? I have mine on frag racks and in a shaded end of the tank. Was told to do that to keep the colors vibrant.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW I love the acan in your avitar.

Palancar: can you please share your care tips for your acans. What kind of lighting do you use and your feeding? Some of the pictures seem to be in bright light - is that just for the pic or do you keep yours in brighter light? I have mine on frag racks and in a shaded end of the tank. Was told to do that to keep the colors vibrant.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW I love the acan in your avitar.

Most of the pictures were taken in a special tank I set up just for pictures, that is why it is so bright. The tank they are presently in is mainly under actinic bulbs. The PAR of the lighting is 130 to 180 during the day, since the tank is in our greenhouse and it does get a lot of indirect light. As for tank parameters our cal is 435, alk is 10.3 dKH, and mag is 1450. I have been told that acans love and use a lot of magnesium. As for flow and feeding I had a Koralia 4 in the 29 gal tank and if I feed during the day doing broad cast food, I would add the food then turn off the Koralia and the corals would extend their tentacles to feed and tentacles were always extended at night. I also spot feed with Mysis shrimp, our feeding cycle for both is normally every three days.

Palacnar: thank you for the response. I had not been aware of the magnesium requirement.

Last edited:
Oh yes I do dose, I have to our system uses 30 ppm of calcium a day and will drop the Alk 1.5 dKH per day. I use the Aqua Medic Reefdoser to dose every hour to keep changes at a minimum. Right now I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt; I do water changes of 90 gallons at a time normally once a month.

Back