Overflow mod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DougH

I'm setting up a 180g Oceanic bowfront that I purchased used.

I want to run 1800 gph using 1-1/4 Durso sstandpipes through the stock 1" drain holes. Return holes are stock 3/4 but I may add an additional return of approx 500 gph from the sump through UV and chiller. Total GPH around 2300.

Question is... I don't now if the standard Oceaninc overflow box will allow the required flow?

I'm thinking of this:
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ (Mega Flow mod)

Suggestions?
Could you have to much available flow through the overflow box?

Thanks
Doug

I have 2 1" Durso's on my tank. 110g. I have 750gph return. I can only get a max of 1000gph through it. I may be doing something wrong. But I doubt it.

Couldn't say man...But one thing I though of is, is there anything in your sump that will need a slower rate of flow running through it? I know some people run less than 1,000gph through their sump for different reason (because of their skimmers, fuge etc.) Just a thought...I hope you get sorted out:)

1" drains will allow 6oo gph max. it doesnt matter if you use 3" durso's, the bulkhead being 1" will only allow 600 gph. you could use all the drains and return holes to maximize the drain amount and the plumb the return lines over the top.
is that the info you were looking for?

Back