Overflow Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlearned

I have a 120 Gallon (60x18x26) tank that does not have pre-drilled overflows. The bottom piece of glass is tempered but the side walls are not. I was wondering if anyone has tried to put in an overflow setup through the back wall instead of going straight down through the bottom of the aquarium. A couple of things ran through my mind while I was thinking about this set-up. First, having the 90 degree bends could restrict flow and secondly would the 90 degree turn inside the tank cause the stand pipe to stick out too far from the wall to be practical. I will attach a diagram incase I did not explain myself clearly enough. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

bulkhead.jpg

hi

i wouldnt recomend drilling a glass tank unless you have it done by a glass company, 2nd you use 2 45's if they fit on either side,we call that a "sweep", just rem water is lazy

Thanks

Thanks for all the great advice. Has anyone ever taken there tank to a shop and know a ball park price they would charge? All the shops I have called will not give me a quote over the phone, they say I have to bring the tank to them.

-Jason

Sunset glass in Bellvue will do it for I beleive $40 per/hr. with a minimum of 1hr service charge required or spend that $40 on a diamond hole saw and do it your self. I've drilled with just a plain ole carbide hole saw from lowes b4 and it came out fine (I was scared while I was doing it though LOL).

Sunset glass in Bellvue will do it for I beleive $40 per/hr. with a minimum of 1hr service charge required or spend that $40 on a diamond hole saw and do it your self. I've drilled with just a plain ole carbide hole saw from lowes b4 and it came out fine (I was scared while I was doing it though LOL).

But see not everyone is crazy as you Roscoe. :eek::lol:

The trick is to keep the rpms down and keep it cool as you drill. When I did work with Marble and Stone for a while its much like glass.. some stones were even more brittle than glass itself...

How my journeyman I was apprenticed under put it...keep it cool..keep your rpms down... Use a sponge with water soaked into it and gently with your support hand have it on the bit as it turns.

Or do a Roscoe and hope you have Luck like him :p

PS Yes I was a mason but we also did drill glass...the bits are about the same diamond covered.

Using a carbide to cut glass....You shoulda been crazy scared!!! LOL, I'm amazed the bit didn't catch and break the glass.

As has been mentioned, cutting glass isn't difficult. Just make sure it's not tempered!! Do some research on it, build yourself a putty damn to hold water, to keep the glass cool and go slow...LOTS of water!!

I did mine with putty and a hole bit from
FISHOUT OF WATER!
First hole went SMOOOOOTHH!
Second hole, not so much, (keep 5 year old out of room when drilling holes in glass)

Thanks all for the great advice. I stopped in at Indoor Reef and I feel comfortable in doing it myself. I bought 2 bits online for 50 bucks on ebay. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Hey I live it tacoma too and have done this myself!
I could come over and help if you like!!
REMEMBER SLOW DRILL and LOTS OF WATER!
I have some putty left over you can use also!

Using a carbide to cut glass....You shoulda been crazy scared!!! LOL, I'm amazed the bit didn't catch and break the glass.

As has been mentioned, cutting glass isn't difficult. Just make sure it's not tempered!! Do some research on it, build yourself a putty damn to hold water, to keep the glass cool and go slow...LOTS of water!!

Yeah I didn't use the type with the serated teath like carbide hole saw. The one I used was grit coated so it didn't have the teeth to get caught onto the glass. There was someone here that drilled their 180 with like 8 holes with the carbide. It worked out just fine. Although if I was to drill any more holes in glass I would have to get a diamond hole saw.

LOL no need for putty but I like the inventive ways you all approached it. A cheap sponge..a 1 liter cut in half to hold water... Just take your off hand and make sure the spong is placed gently around the bit head as it turns....

If you can cut this outside.... A hose and running water would be good...itll keep the grind dust clear and you can see better...

Used expensive tools though when I did masonry...It's probably not practical to buy a diamon coated bit for this job...

Honestly you are grinding a hole ...vs cutting one =).

Tempered glass can be ground ...I have done it with the use of the bits I mentioned...even dry grinding... don't ask I was tooling around with something cosmetic ...i did the unsafe thing..No water...no mask..no goggles.. =p

Last edited:
Back