Overflows suck...Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Seadogs

We just set up a 125 gal drilled with overflows. Everything is running great except the intakes for the overflows seem to serge (draw down) and make a horrible sucking sound every couple of minutes. They are adjustable, so is there a certain height they should be set at? The pump output is about 1250 gph. Does that have anything to do with it?

Problem is not the height which is to determine the water level in the tank. The sucking is either from too much water flowing through, or needing a vacuum break. Try putting an air hose or straw into the top of the sponge if present or down the outflow

Hello;

Some people have created some elaborate pipe configurations that quiet the flow.

IMHO -- I would slow the flow to any overflow tank unless this is the inlet for the only source of filtration. Check the inlets --- if they are submerged or right at the top adjust for middle --- the chamber (what ever configuration) should have a water level that is close to middle and this should make the flow more constant. The surging and sucking noise may be ( visually verify ) from the inlets having a water level close to the top and they start sucking air ( like a bathtub).

My low flow solution:

I do not like standard overflows because of sucking noises and the drain noise. I set my 1" bulkhead fitting a little higher and always in the back of a filter (Penguin 330, etc,.) that has to be running for full flow. When the filter is running the inlet (s) are fully covered (under water 1/2 inch) and I use a ball valve close to the overflow tank to slow the water flow enough to make the flow silent. I cut the inlet pipe and move the strainer so the top is 1/2 inch below the surface, this will only siphon about 3/4 inch of water out of the main tank. My overflows will keep the main tank from overflowing with water but need the filter on for full flow.

Many say never use a valve for flow control --- hey if it works and is quiet ! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I like my unsubstantiated biased opinion better than your proven scientific facts!"

"OFM"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy!

OFM

our overflow is very similar to what chadmace posted, but also has a basket around the intake. pretty quiet.

That sounds perfect. I think, since we already have the overflows, i'l try drilling out the vaccum break on the top. that should do the same thing without having to mess with any more plumbing than we have to. (We have done quite enough plumbing for now!) Here's a picture of the basement section of the new system (we're very proud and I just wanted to show it off! :) )

The little tank on top is our 10 gal refugium and the sump is a DIY out of a 40 gal breeder. The downstairs section is working fine, now if I can tweak the overflows into be alittle more quiet, it will be perfect! (This was just the trial run with fresh water, so no skimmer, LR, etc...)

Wow, I love the basement fishroom idea. I'm thinking of doing something similar. How much bigger than with an udertank sump did the return pump have to be to account for the added headheight?

We have a Reeflo Wahoo running the whole thing. We figured the headheight to be atleast 13 ft. (including 90's and 45's.) Before this, we didn't have a sump at all. Now, because of the way we have it plumbed between a drain, the salt mix barrel and the sump, a water change for the entire system takes just a few minutes! Plus, we plumbed in a drain just under the tank so we can manually siphon to tidy up. I LOVE it!

Back