Ozone Generator Opinions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mike that's what I was doing, but I needed an air pump (Luft Pump works well). I found there just wasn't enough suction at the venturi without one.

I definitely saw a drop in skimmate output as Boomer noted.

To me ozone is kind of a "nice to have" thing. Not sure I would spend the money on it again, but since I've already got one I'll just keep it. I do see a difference vs. not running it. If you can find one cheap or used I'd go for it.

Brian, as always, you talked me into going bigger and better. Will have to buy one now.
Hope you don't get into selling Live Insurance or used autos.

Hey, Life insurance for Marine aquariums?
Talki about a losing proposition LOLOL

Well, I made it through all 3 readings (Pheww - that took a while), but good stuff. I just don't know if it's worth the money... It sounds like one of those nice things to have if $$ is not an issue and you have time to tinker with it.. water clarity seemed to be a big benefit- there is a before and after shot in one of the articles that you could really tell. I'm going to sleep on it, my mind isn't made up.

maybe there is better things to spend my money on?

tunzes?
kalkawaser reactor?
PFO vs. PCs for actinics?
a purple monster??

This is a summary from his last article:

"All things considered, the ozone provided a small but significant increase in water clarity. While it may also be providing other benefits, I have been unable to show them definitively.

My concern with using ozone, aside from its initial capital expense, has been to protect both my aquarium inhabitants and my family from any harmful effects of ozone or its byproducts. Using the equipment described above (especially the activated carbon treatment of both the water and the air to remove ozone and its byproducts), I am satisfied that the system I use is adequately safe on all accounts.

Because of the safety issue's resolution and the water clarity effects, I believe I will continue to use ozone with my tubing reactor and GAC column. I will probably not bother to continue to use the air dryer, but when the humidity is highest later in the summer, I may again compare the relative effectiveness of the ozone generation with and without the dryer.

Back