• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pacific Sun LED group buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thats how I understand it, 75w IO = (Independently Operated)

I am trying to understand what IO vs Master\Slave has to do with length of the tank.

I think I understand that if you have the goal of upgrading in the future and you have a 48" tank now, then a 90w master and slave would make sense since you can hook other slaves to only that unit or larger. Now if you have no plan to expand then the two 75w units would be fine...however they will be independently controlled since the 75w unit is only available in an IO unit, which is not expandable.

Correct, having a Master Slave setup makes adding a third or fourth light more convenient because there is less programming involved.

I don't see a reason you couldn't\shouldn't put 4 IO lights over a tank other than it becomes more of a pain to make programming changes.

I dont believe I would be concerned with simplified programming point of view. Honestly, it is not like you change light patterns every day. Once you figure it out and define what you want - you will not be chaning too much.

I personally like the idea of being able to controll different light temperature via two seperate units - lets say you may have island with SPS that need more 16k look, while on the other part of the tank you may wish to go with acans, chalices and you want 21k to display their vibrant colors.

but for the bigger tanks 180g + you simply have bigger area to cover. so lets say right now you have 90g tank and you take two IO units. what do you do if you upgrade to 210g?

I just want to avoid a situation when someone buys rather expensive light and doesnt look into the future and may not be happy once he upgrades. these are not cheap lights and I would rather make sure that everyone goes over every single detail before making a decision. I have no problem answering any and all questions on here, via email, via phone or via PM.

I posted PAR readings on 160W so PAR penetration with IO will be identical with the exception of the coverage area. smaller unit, smaller coverage area. so IO will still reach above 200 PAR at 29" just like 160W, but the coverage area will be smaller. so I do not worry about PAR per say on bigger tanks, unless you are talking on 36" plus. even 30" - if you think about it, there is a sand, corals are on the live rock, you gain back about 10".

Are you recommending this solely on a simplified programming point of view?
Are you implying that larger 120+ gallon tanks also tend to be deeper and therefore require the 90w\160w light at a minimum?

sure - you could do this way 4 x IO 78W (312W) or 3xBP 160W (480W) = from my personal expirience those bigger tanks tend to be more SPS oriented and in my opinion would require more light. it is just my personal feeling. I got nothing against going with 4 or 5 IOs instead of 3 BPs.

Correct, having a Master Slave setup makes adding a third or fourth light more convenient because there is less programming involved.

I don't see a reason you couldn't\shouldn't put 4 IO lights over a tank other than it becomes more of a pain to make programming changes.

sure - you could do this way 4 x IO 78W (312W) or 3xBP 160W (480W) = from my personal expirience those bigger tanks tend to be more SPS oriented and in my opinion would require more light. it is just my personal feeling. I got nothing against going with 4 or 5 IOs instead of 3 BPs.

Just curious...what are all the acronyms?? I got the IO, but the BT, EX, BP, etc...

Okay, I see part of the equation I was missing. I was under the impression that the 75 watt units were the same physical size as the 160w units just using fewer and less powerful LEDs. I assumed the coverage area was the same just with less par.

I see now that the IO uses 3 watt LEDs just like the 160 but are contained in a smaller package which means less coverage area. 9.75" x 8" for the 75w vs 14.5" x 8" for the 160w.

Thanks for the great explanation on the differences between operations..This gives us a greater understanding of what is needed to make our personal choices

BP= Black Python

thats how they started :) Black Python comes with 1W (90W and 120W) or 3W (160W) = same housing dimmenions.

IO is the smaller version of 160W and also Jupiter's moon name.

Phobos = bigger of two Mar's moons.

Deimos = smaller of two Mar's moons.

BT EX = I think stands for BlueTooth External.

Just curious...what are all the acronyms?? I got the IO, but the BT, EX, BP, etc...

1 more question...what would be the major differences between going with a 1 bulb 90 watt master slave combo versus going with 2 75 IO units..looking at pricing its virtually the same...Again based on a 48" tank with no plans of upgrading at all! Seriousl..Thanks for all the help..This would be a major investment and its one I want to do right...Shane

One has CREE 3W bulbs that are the best 3W bulbs available on the mkt right now, the other has 1W bulbs. If the same choice is presented to me, I would feel more comfortable going with CREE.

see my post # 61.

1 more question...what would be the major differences between going with a 1 bulb 90 watt master slave combo versus going with 2 75 IO units..looking at pricing its virtually the same...Again based on a 48" tank with no plans of upgrading at all! Seriousl..Thanks for all the help..This would be a major investment and its one I want to do right...Shane

Thank you sir..That was my thought as well..Just wanted to make sure I was making the right chioce...Again...thanks so much for all of your help...I believe I am done pestering you!!!!!:D

as per my expirience any one who buys the lamp - in first 1-2 days after receiving the lamp/s will call me on avg 2-3 times with questions :lol:

yes, I am little proud that we had people from Denmark being part of our group buy in Nov 09 and no major complains from anyone while dealing with people from FL, GA, MA, NM, IL, NY, NJ, CT etc.

Have we had burnt out drivers? sure we did. it happens. have I mailed lamps to the wrong address? yes, I did. have I had people not able to connect units correctly? Yes, I did. it took him 7 days and about 15 phone calls to figure it out :) have I had people not able to follow simple instructions? absolutely. but it is a part of the entire process.

Thanks for the great explanation on the differences between operations..This gives us a greater understanding of what is needed to make our personal choices

Last edited:
Hi All,

Sorry I missed most of the discussion. I'm in Canada with my wife and we had no power all day today. Finally back on! I wanted to address one question Freakin posed that hasn't been discussed further. Part of the reason it took so long to post prices was Rafal and I were trying to come up with the best discounts we could. The root of the problem is that there just isn't a huge margin on them. Rafal already showed how they are cheaper per watt than AI. Plus you get full programability. You also get a unit with fans to remove the heat absorbed by the heat sink. The only reason group buy discounts are even happening here is becuase Pac Sun Poland and USA would like West Coast exposure. After this I would be surprised to see pricing below MAP. I know I won't be allowed to discount after this. The manufacturer helped with pricing a little, Rafal took a cut, and BRA took a cut. I would love to discount further but this is just the reality of the margins we have too work with:)

All-

Please don't come to the shop to pay for units yet. We need to compile a list of who is in and for what units. Also, the sales tax issue has been brought up. 9.5% is more than my margin on these. We are not covering it. I am working with Rafal to see what can be done.

Thanks,
Cy

Ok a few last questions regarding the demensions of the light.

On the Deimos 3 x 160, what is the distance between the LED boards? I want to be sure that the cross bracing on my tank will not be blocking them.

I also want to be sure the software WILL work with the mac I just bought.

Also, are the T5's also independatly controlable? I'd like to be able to adjust their brightness.

Finally, how long are the t5 bulbs? I want the pink 420nm bulbs in there.

I talked to Cy and he got the price figured out for the fiture. My wife WANTS it too so once I figure all this out I want to get one coming.

Thanks
Brett

your questions:

a) distance between LED panels - I will get you that info shortly.

b) it will work with MAC as long as you have Virtual Windows on your MAC

c) yes, T5 are idenpendently contronllable

d) length of T5 wil depend on the unit you buy.

Phobos is 36" and 48" - Deimos is 60"

Ok a few last questions regarding the demensions of the light.

On the Deimos 3 x 160, what is the distance between the LED boards? I want to be sure that the cross bracing on my tank will not be blocking them.

I also want to be sure the software WILL work with the mac I just bought.

Also, are the T5's also independatly controlable? I'd like to be able to adjust their brightness.

Finally, how long are the t5 bulbs? I want the pink 420nm bulbs in there.

I talked to Cy and he got the price figured out for the fiture. My wife WANTS it too so once I figure all this out I want to get one coming.

Thanks
Brett

Back