Pacific sun led light rack

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

H

holdendaniel

i have seen the recent builds going on with the pac sun led. i hear the mounting way is not up to grade(or usable) i have recently built a light rack for my friends tanks to hold 3 of the 160w units. the rack has four munting points and made of 1/8 alum. i have just got it powder coated today will have pics up soon.

-will build light rack to your tank design.
-very strong rack fully tig welded
-3 years of fabrication exp.

Hey bro.....Once this thing get sanded and powdercoated you had better post up some pics!!..I saw this at the psas bbq....This is a quality built product......You just might have a side business in light Rack building!!!!...Great Job!

oh ofcourse just gotta install into drywall got any ideas of mounting screws?

I will leave the ideas to the pros..Last thing I wanna do is give a suggestion and have it fail..lol...Someone should chime in...hopefully!

well depending on how long the rack is you could try and line it up with some studs if that works. The hanging cables dont have to be right on the corners they could be evenly inset a bit and still have some good stability.

Tom

yea studs would be in the perfect world where nothing goes wrong....i have a feeling its like 1 in a 100 chances for us to hit studs on all four.(hanging not directly above just does not sound eye apealing to me we have about a 6' cable length to hang if it was a matter of a " or two that would be fine but would rather find best way to hang in drywall so where not fighting with the edge of a 4x4 lol been there not fun.......any ? in the rack and where its installed pm me

Hey Daniel, most wall/ceiling anchors/mollies will have a pound rating on the pkg. For example I have a pkg of 3/16" S Hollow Wall Anchors that states they will hold 45lbs vertical or horizontal and I'm sure that the 1/4" or 3/8" would be plenty strong/safe.

Todd

P.S. there are two sizes 'S' for single layer 1/2-5/8" sheetrock and 'L' for thicker applications

Hey Daniel, most wall/ceiling anchors/mollies will have a pound rating on the pkg. For example I have a pkg of 3/16" S Hollow Wall Anchors that states they will hold 45lbs vertical or horizontal and I'm sure that the 1/4" or 3/8" would be plenty strong/safe.

Todd

P.S. there are two sizes 'S' for single layer 1/2-5/8" sheetrock and 'L' for thicker applications

That was going to be the next option I was thinking of. I'm actually looking at a set on my desk that are rated for 58lbs each when pulled out and 103lbs when pulled down the line of the wall. I know that there are ones rated for even more.

Tom

Back