Painting the back of your aquarium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

doomus

I just came across an acryllic tank with a clear back and thought that it would be nice to paint it to hide all of the plumbing. Has anyone painted the back of their acryllic aquarium? How did it turn out and what type of paint did you use?

dennis

I've never painted any of my tanks and I'm not so sure it would be a good idea because you'd never be able to go back that easily. What I did was got a piece of 1/8 black acrylic and had it cut to fit my tank. If you look at it, there is absolutely no way that you can tell that it was added there. It looks like a part of the tank and I would go so far as to say that it looks like it is on the inside. I'd try that first before painting...Just a thought. HTH

I don't see why you couldn't paint it as Iv'e thought about doing the same thing. If you do try to get a water based paint if possible although I also think a lacer or enamel base paint would be ok. You are talking about painting the outside right? When I do it I'll use an enamel base unless somebody answers in this thread giving me a good reason not too. I've got a link to a place that builds aquariums, I'll email them and see if I can get and answer on what type of paint to use and why. I'll post back here and send you a PM when I get an answer. :)

If you peruse the site (search feature) there are a couple threads by people who have successfully painted the backs of their tanks. I have seen blue and black paints used.

Mat

I've done it to a couple Sea-Clear tanks.. Krylon "Fusion" is the product, and you can find it at Lowes.. I also talked with a Sea Clear rep about it first.. I had no problems... I used Black, I forget if it was gloss or flat,will check and edit in a bit.. It came out sweet and 2 months later still looks great...Jeff

doomus, I talked to the guy at www.glasscages.com and he said you could order a piece of black acrylic to put on the back. He said paint would chip and crack but I don't believe that to be the case. I agree with Rock-N-ruin about using Krylon Fusion it's made for painting plastic and acrylic so you should be fine. Let us know what you use and how it works.

Last edited:
Just another thought before you paint (if you decide to go that route) is to find out how easily it will be to remove without messing up the tank. Acrylic is a little more fragile than glass as with glass, you grab a razor and can go to town, but not sure if it is a good idea to take a razor to acrylic. Also, I'm not sure how acrylic would react to some different chemical agents...Just a thought though as I've never had acrylic. I'd just hate for you to paint the tank and mess it up. Maybe you can buy a small sample of some paint and test it on a scrap piece of acrylic to see if you like the look and how it reacts to the acrylic yourself...Just another thought. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Came across an acryllic tank

First of all Dennis welcome to Reef Frontiers! Sounds like you found a great deal on a Tank:D I would just like to Add to what Krish said about how Fragile your Acrylic Tanks is:) If you wait out 4 months after your Tank has Cycled the whole Back will be covered in Coralline Algae;) Just another Idea ..Jeff

krish75 said:
Just another thought before you paint (if you decide to go that route) is to find out how easily it will be to remove without messing up the tank. Acrylic is a little more fragile than glass as with glass, you grab a razor and can go to town, but not sure if it is a good idea to take a razor to acrylic. Also, I'm not sure how acrylic would react to some different chemical agents...Just a thought though as I've never had acrylic. I'd just hate for you to paint the tank and mess it up. Maybe you can buy a small sample of some paint and test it on a scrap piece of acrylic to see if you like the look and how it reacts to the acrylic yourself...Just another thought. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Keep in mind I did check with the company that makes Sea-Clear, and Clarity plus acrylic aquariums.."The Casco Group"

http://www.casco-group.com/USFS-seaclear.html

before doing this, as the first one I did was a 100gal. Acrylic 9 month old aquarium..
I did forget to mention to make sure you read the directions on the product you use, as no one will warranty it if it goes South, and like Krish7 said, I don't know how hard it is to get it off.

Maybe one of the acrylic tank manufactures might chime in on this one, (some type of acid, I heard once).. The temperature of paint, acrylic, and the work area are a good thing to keep in mind. Also the right preperation of the substrate to be painted is the key. Good lighting is also a factor. All I did was wash the outside with soap and water, rinsed very well,

I used a soft hand towel with hot water to wipe it down, dried it well, mad sure there were no smudge marks, dry compressed air , a couple of REAL light light "tack" coats, then applied enough top coats until I was satisfied..

No runs, No drips, No errors!!! I have heard of some people using a roller and brush to paint the back of glass tanks, dunno it might work, I just kind of like things tight!

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input. I think I will probaly paint the back (outside of course) but will try it on some scrap acrylic first.

dennis

Welcome to RF kcharm! I never thought of using tint...Good thinking, however, tint is something you don't want to get wet...Thus the reason it is applied to the inside of your car window. I still vote for a piece of black acrylic on the back of the tank. Removes easily if you get tired of it and looks like it is the actual background and not a piece added on the back...

sorry to put my nose in here, but i agree with Krish :) .
you know if you want a kewl background you can always ask krish about his rock background.. that was a really really awesome one.

krish75 said:
Welcome to RF kcharm! I never thought of using tint...Good thinking, however, tint is something you don't want to get wet...Thus the reason it is applied to the inside of your car window. I still vote for a piece of black acrylic on the back of the tank. Removes easily if you get tired of it and looks like it is the actual background and not a piece added on the back...

It's not tint. That's the key to this. It's that window sticker stuff. There is no adhesive and it's much thicker then window tint to boot. It's simply a clingy sheet of very darkly tinted plastic. While it isn't opaque, it's nearly so.

Ohh! Gotcha! Can it crinckle? Because what I am thinking it is now can't really unless you really tried...

I've owned and painted six different aquariums and its a breaze. I used flat black and flat blue. I tape my edges so i don't get paint on the trim and go to town. You want to put it on a little thick with a roller not a brush. If you go to thin you will see where the paint was applied to thin and it will look tacky. Do one thick coat and let dry for about a day or two. you could use fans but if they are to close they will blow the paint around and create thin spots. If you ever want to change colors you can remove the paint with thinner or a razor blade. Painted backgrounds look better and last longer. Thats my opinion.

Oh also i just wanted to add that Krish's idea is another good way to go!

Good Luck!

I still wouldn't use a razorblade on acrylic! I have also used Sign board from fast signs, it was about 1/8" thick, any color and about $40.00, when doing something like that, you need to seal it good so no water gets inbetween the tank and background!

I don't think it'll crinkle. I do think that you have to be very delibrate when applying it so as to avoid bubbles.

I'm thinking about using this stuff (and will let you know how it works) simply because the tank is up and running and it seems like an easy way to get it done. With the sides of the tank exposed, it also minimizes how noticable some backgrounds can be from the side. Of course, paint would work the same in this respect.

If the tank was not set up, I would use paint. I would use semi-gloss because I think that the salt would have less of a chance to do damage. From inside the tank, it doesn't matter, it will look shiny no matter what sheen you apply to the outside of the glass.

Back