PC vs T5HO

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

T5HO will allow you to keep most corals, including high light demanding SPS. PC lighting will allow you to keep just about any soft coral and some LPS. That's it. With T5HO, make sure you get a quality fixture, with individual reflectors. I have a Tek5, 6 bulb fixture, over my 75 and have very high light demanding Acropora, T. crocea and T. maxima clams and a Sebae Anemone. They're all doing very well.

Oh and WELCOME TO REEFFRONTIERS!!!

T5HO will allow you to keep most corals, including high light demanding SPS. PC lighting will allow you to keep just about any soft coral and some LPS. That's it. With T5HO, make sure you get a quality fixture, with individual reflectors. I have a Tek5, 6 bulb fixture, over my 75 and have very high light demanding Acropora, T. crocea and T. maxima clams and a Sebae Anemone. They're all doing very well.

Oh and WELCOME TO REEFFRONTIERS!!!

Thanks 4 the info. Im looking at a 6-54 and a 8-54 Current Nova Extreme.

make sure you get the nova extreme PRO model, with individual reflectors and cooling fans, VERY important!!

and yes, there is no comparison between pc and t5ho, not even in the same ballpark...

make sure you get the nova extreme PRO model, with individual reflectors and cooling fans, VERY important!!

and yes, there is no comparison between pc and t5ho, not even in the same ballpark...

I like both the nova and the tek,I guess the individual reflectors makes a big difference Im leaning towards the Nova because of the price.

there are handfulls of sps that you can keep with pc lighting:shock:, yes they are simple sps corals , if your trying your first coral tank regardless of lighting you should be trying easyier corals first.

tank raised or aqua-cultured sps are the ones you should look for , most LFS have these.

good luck !
ARSA

ARSA is absolutely right. I have Montipora growing under 2X96 PCs and growing well!!

When choosing your T5HO lighting, just be aware that without individual reflectors, they won't be NEAR as good. The strength of T5HO is all in the reflectors. Individual reflectors is very important with this type of lighting.

And then of course there is metal halide...

Yes, there is MH, the OLD way of keeping a reef tank. Yes, they do work. However, they give more HEAT, and fewer color choices then T5. In addition to that, MOST who run halides also run "supplemental" actinic light, via either T5, VHO, or PC. If you want to run Halides, great, but that is not the question here is it? I think your response only adds confusion, is not helpful, and is short sighted.

Sorry for the rant Tim Tang. In my experience, T5 blows PC out of the water. There are TONS of options for color, from excellent companies like Geismann, ATI, UVL, and Aqua Science. I keep a 90 gallon SPS reef using T5 bulbs, with a T. Crocea on the bottom of my rockwork, just above the sand. As for T5VHO, well I that is what happens to HO bulbs when you drive them with an IceCap ballast. (Which is what I do.) Some say that you get reduced bulb life running them this way, but I get 12 months out of my bulbs easy. I tend to replace a bulb at a time every 3 or 4 months, but I just replaced 4 of my 6 with UVL bulbs that are "stable" at VHO level by IceCap ballasts, so we will see how they last. So far, I think the tank is a little to pink, with the current combo. I can fix that easy enough though, by replacing my 75-25 bulb with a blue option, either Actinic + by Geismann, or Blue + by ATI.

T5 is a VERY good option for a reef tank, you can keep whatever you want, with proper bulb choice you will get excellent color AND growth. I made my own T5 fixture, but there are several excellent prefab options that fit many budgets. Make sure to get the individual reflectors as mentioned above, and an actively cooled (fans) fixture will put out more PAR then one that is passively cooled for sure. I like the TEK lights, over a 90, 6 bulbs is the minimum, I *think* an 8 bulb option would also fit though. There is also EXCELLENT fixtures by Aquatinics, and ATI. Those fixtures are much more expensive, but like most things, you get what you pay for.

Do you have a canopy where a "retro" fit kit would work, those tend to be a little cheaper then traditional fixtures are.

Yes, there is MH, the OLD way of keeping a reef tank. Yes, they do work. However, they give more HEAT, and fewer color choices then T5. In addition to that, MOST who run halides also run "supplemental" actinic light, via either T5, VHO, or PC. If you want to run Halides, great, but that is not the question here is it? I think your response only adds confusion, is not helpful, and is short sighted.

Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of response to my eight word post.

Gary

No, I don't think you will. My 6 overdriven T5's need a fan because I am pushing them a little harder then normal. Your 8 HO should be just fine, if you do need/want to cool the bulbs, make sure to cool the end with all the labels on them. (Make sure to install the lights so all the tags are on the same side.)

Thanks for all the info guys,I ordered a Tek 8x54 should be here by Wed.Do you think i need a fan?

a fan will increase par from the bulbs and increase the longevity of the bulb slightly,
i actually like the nova extreme pro fixture better because of the fans and led moonlights.
also is the current sundial fixture which has the individual reflectors, fans, led's, built in timers and photocell, but it only comes in 4 bulb configuration.

there's a bunch of clamp on fans on ebay for cheap.
and yes, use the geisemann or ATI bulbs, and avoid the true actinic bulbs...go for the geisemann actinic+, or ATI blue+ bulbs.

Back