Penny In Overflow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes chad, NO checks. Theres money growing in my tank. Change of plans Not For Sale.

Mike. I can kinda see 2004 on it. there is some corrosion on one side ( facing up ). There is no damage so far. Its just how,why,when did it get there and why a penny.

No kids just dogs,cats and wife.

Are you sure the labs are not jealous and sabotaging the tank so you will spend more time with them:lol:

I hope this truly was an accident and not intentional. You are one of the most generous person I have ever met and definately do not deserve any thing like this. By the way thanks again for the zoos the other night, they brighten up the spots I had emptied out in my tank when I was gathering stuff for the frag swap the other night!

Hopefully there will be no ill effects. If I remember correctly, when DonW found the pennies in his tank they were quite dissolved, considering the short time he felt they were in there. That penny looks like it is still in good condition which hopefully means you found it rather quickly.

. . .as far as that sleepwalking thing . . . are you sure you did not decide in your sleep that pennies would keep red bug away forever j/k:badgrin:

If any of you really wanted to hurt Tracy Read On!

All you have to do to really devastate Tracy is to get him "Banned" from the CowGirl Espresso Stand off of Highway 167. His twice daily stops there mean way more to him than a few corals. :D:D

All you have to do to really devastate Tracy is to get him "Banned" from the CowGirl Espresso Stand off of Highway 167. His twice daily stops there mean way more to him than a few corals. :D:D

And he rips the poor little girls off by pretending to not have any small bills

2004 penny is virtually all zinc. Carbon to be safe

(wish worry)

WOW..... with all this time it took to make this 4 page moster, did anyone say TAKE IT OUt, bang out some water changes...

what was the result of the copper test? do you have another tank setup.. that you could use to temp/if needed

Im leaning to the one penny, short time, little to no copper.....
but
then theres old penny long time......

how are you hermits and inverts?

At the moment, I don't have time to read all of the above posts. I just saw panic in the initial post and I wanted to relieve your fears. If someone else already posted this, thank you.

Copper is a natural part of NSW...it's just a trace element. In the amounts that you would find in some fish medications, copper can be dangerous. There's also different sources of Copper, some are chelated, some are not. But the amount of dissolution that can happen from a penny is soooooo small that you have no worries.

Deep breath!!!!

It's going to be fine.

I'm sure Salmonslayer will be ok, I would be worried if I were the guy that put the penny in there. If it were me I would be very very angry with somebody, even if my tank were ok.

All is good everyone. I have to move on and can't point fingers. Yes I was upset but no harm. It will never go away. I will from time to time still think about how,why,who and is there some way possible I could have done it. From what I have been reading seems there is nothing to worry about. No copper is in the current water I tested.
The penny was 2001 and made mostly of zink.
I still have a hard time thinking why a penny and not something else if I was to have accidentally did it like a screw,nail or a copper 90. Being a plumber and all.
Here is a pic of the penny

By tstumbo

Maybe you just had a major break through in Reef Keeping. Penny's accelerate coral growth. Quick call the city and get a business lisence you can still corner the market. I am going to put a bag full of penny's in my tank right now. So that's why your tank looks so great. You just blew your cover. Now where am I going to find 50 penny's from 2001?

Damn, at least they could have tossed two in to provide their two cents:p

TwoCents.jpg

All is good everyone. I have to move on and can't point fingers. Yes I was upset but no harm. It will never go away. I will from time to time still think about how,why,who and is there some way possible I could have done it. From what I have been reading seems there is nothing to worry about. No copper is in the current water I tested.
The penny was 2001 and made mostly of zink.
I still have a hard time thinking why a penny and not something else if I was to have accidentally did it like a screw,nail or a copper 90. Being a plumber and all.
Here is a pic of the penny

By tstumbo

Wow looks like it's been in there for awhile! I promise it wasn't me! Maybe a fellow reefer thought it was a wishing well and he/she wished there reef tank looked as good as yours does...:lol: Glad you found it and glad everything is ok!;)

I cant believe this thread s still alive. get the darn penny out and move on with your life Friend ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back