Penny In Overflow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a penny in my tank before. Got lucky and found it before it turned green. Think you should set a trap. Like a jumbo mouse trap.

Tracy, I would certainly take this as a stab in the back if it were me in the situation. Everyone associates pennys with copper, and copper with danger in reef tanks.

Despite all your generosity and all the people you've kindly welcomed into your home someone tries to sabotage you. If this were me I'd be done fraggin all together.

I cant believe this thread s still alive. get the darn penny out and move on with your life Friend ;)

I wont even comment about the quote above......... But I guarantee EVERYONE is thinking the same thing I think about Seamonster.

Alright everyone. This thread seems to be going in circles of suspected sabotage. Believe me, I know someone very well who had their tank sabotaged....and there are alot of other things reefers know about that would ruin a tank. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I also wouldn't rule out an accident (which both sides have been brought up many times already in this thread). What I'm saying is, let's move this thread forward.

Folks that have been in this situation before, were there any ill effects, did you do anything special, etc. Let's make this thread constructive.

My 10 cents....less copper that way ;) :D lolol

Like I said before, I found a AA battery in my tank. The wrapper on the outside was coming off when I found it. My tank hasn't had anything go wrong with because of the battery.

that's not the point bro. It doesn't matter whether its a gallon of bleach that kills everything or pixie dust from tinker bell which does nothing. Its the fact that its put in with melitious intent.

Like I said before, I found a AA battery in my tank. The wrapper on the outside was coming off when I found it. My tank hasn't had anything go wrong with because of the battery.

but since we are supposed to pretend everythings hunky dory I won't say anymore. Even though I've seen tracy's system and know that even a smart penny with fully grown legs would not be able to jump right in without a little help.

Dang Tracy,

Sorry to here about and read this. I taught my kids to put the penny in their pocket!!!!!

I am pretty sure they couldn't get it in there though if they tried. I can't even get them to get a ball to my glove.

Once my daughter tried to feed the clownfish rice cripppppies. Good thing they float and I was home. It may have been a heck of a mess.

Well, glad to hear all is well.

Take care,
B

There are a couple guys here posting just to stir the pot, If you don't like the subject, then post elsewhere, this will be the last warning to the instigators.

So back on subject!

Thank you Scooter.

so can a single penny really do any damage to a 100 gallon tank?

Probably not, there is not enough copper anymore. I lost a tank to penny's and my grandson. Most were canadian and there were a few hand fulls not just a single penny.
A single cell phone or cordless phone will do damage quickly(overnight).:)

Don

In the 80s, I lost a lot of fish and inverts in a 55 FOWLER due to an older all copper penny. Tried to find the cause of losses for months. Finally found a green encrustation in the sand behind a rock. Tossed in from some little kid. Was a lot of work to get the copper back out without stripping it down. Current pennys are almost all zinc and pretty much harmless. Quarters are a different story. Quarters are made out of an alloy (a mixture of metals) of 91.67 percent copper and 8.33 percent nickel. Not sure if the alloy is mostly saltwater inert similar to brass.

If the penny was placed in the tank intentionally, was not just from a sick mind, but an uneducated sicko at that. I still put my bets on owner caused accidental placement.

I've received enough reported posts on this thread to close it temporarily, or permanently. There is too much back and forth bickering for me to keep it open. There has not been any progress made to make this thread something for us to learn from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back