people that using fans for tanks to cool temperature can u show me pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

supamarine

can people that use tanks to cool down tank show me how they placed it..because i have no idea how to put it ..thanx...

Hey Scott,
Just wonderin if you see any color change in your MH bulb with blowing directly on it? Thought I remember a post somewhere where that wasn't recomended.
Scott

It is a thing to consider but as for as coloration it is beautiful, it might have more of an effect on PAR I don't know. I'd think it wouldn't be that much to justify the difference in heat transmission to the water but I could be wrong. The fan is a distance away & the lamp itself is still hotter than I could touch. If you run across that infor please post it.

Scott I posted this question to get an answer follow this thread.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=70134#post70134

On my XMs, when the air flows directly on the bulb I get a noticeable shift toward the yellow spectrum. I also get some high pitch whine. Once the fan is moved, color returns to bright white and the noise goes away...just FYI.

I use two PC fans (3 inchers) in the back of my hood blowing BOTH INTO the hood. HOt air escapes from holes in the back of tank.

With the issue of fans and mh bulbs, it is NOT recommended to blow air to the tip of the bulb, but rather from the back end of the socket towards the front. I do not see a color shift on my XM10k SE but I don't blow directly on the bulb. It is between the bulb and the water line. The other one is placed above the bulb to circulate hot air out.

- Elmo

supamarine said:
can people that use tanks to cool down tank show me how they placed it..because i have no idea how to put it ..thanx...

just have it blowing directly across your tank top, the heat circulates the room instead of your tank, but remember to allow for any temp drop which could happen on those cooler days. :)

Refer to my last link, there should be no major problem other than color shift but my lamps don't have that problem, I'm using Blueline 10k, with an blueline electronic ballast.

Scooterman so the fan is blowing on the lights not directli on the water also is the glass lid open??cause my heat is coming from inside the tank....so i was thinking should i blow the fan directli on to the water which means i have to open the glass lid and the evaoprated water will hit my lights...will this affect my lights....

First of all, If you have glass tops covering your tank that will hold in lots of heat, you fill probably want to remove them all together & you will drop a few degrees doing this, & yes evaporation is the key to cooling. I can evaporate over a gallon a day in my 100g tank, sometime almost two but it does get rather hot here in louisiana. How close are your lights, I do get some build-up on my lights which I clean from time to time, while cooled.

I have a clip on fan that blows on my sump. I will go take a pic if thats what your wanting. Its the same timer as the lights so it only is on when the lights are. Works pretty well still get almost one degree variation. I guess I could kick the heater up some but I dont think its worth the risk of overshooting the mark. No noticeable problems. Except this one. The first fan I got was from ebay. Luckly I came home early on day and smelled something funny. The bearings had siezed up in the fan and it was starting to melt inside. If I had been much later I think it would of been a fire. I am going to bump a thread and see something on that note. Tell me if what I have is what you want a photo of. Steve

wrightme43

yeh wrightme43 can u show me ur clip on fan..everione talks about clip on fans..dont know wat it is..can u show me...cause my temperature is alwaiz at 82 and i realli quickli need to do sumtink about this..also if its at 82 will my LR die?

Scooterman if my glass tops are off that means evopration water will hit my lights and wont this affect my lights??

No your live rock should be cool as long as you have a skimmer running dissolved o2 should be fine. The temp thing is to do with coral bleaching and fish metabolism. 82 is pretty fine if thats as hot as it ever gets. If I rember correctly your lights are not on yet so its pretty high for you. Here are some pictures of my clip fan. Lowes for 12.99

You are more than welcome. Yeah its down in the sump area so nobody can see it. If you dont have a sump just a round fan on a barstool will blow across the top of the tank and evaporate water, cooling your tank. As long as its a open top tank.

supamarine, what lights do you have and just how close to the water are they? Think about it, with the glass covers your baking your tank, your not letting gas exchange there are several good reason to remove them but first, you need to have your lighting up off the water abut 8 to 12 inches, I go around the 8" for fluorescents & 12 for mh.​

ah 8inch or 12 inch...wow so high..my hood is on top so i can onli move lights max.1inch.....hm..have any recommendations?

It will cost more to keep your tank cool.
What typ of lighting do you have?
Here is where DIY comes into play.

Back