Personal poll...I need your opinions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I am trying to make a decision today on what I should do (note: it won't cost me a dime to change) I'm trying to decide on if I should give up gallons (my 90 gal) for better dimensions(75 gal) for better flow and light penetration, or should I stick with what I have because it is not much difference? All I really need is a #1 or #2 answer...That's it. Thanks in advance for any replys/suggestions

(1) Keep the 90 gal (48x18x24)
(2) Swap to the 75 gal (48x18x20)

Last edited:
Well the 90 is the 48x18x24. I know thats a typo. I have a 75 with two 250s and it is insanely bright. I really dont think it is going to matter much in the great scheme of things. I would keep the 90. Just my opinion though.

Number 1.
There is no legitamate reason to subject your inhabitants to the turmoil of relocation. Use the 75 as your sump/ refugium!

I'd stay with the 90 and just be creative with your aquascaping. Creat tall towers using acruylic rod and a drill to stack the rock up taller and put your SPS and other high light creatures from the middle up and the lower light guys down bottom. If you do this you can have great flow and a very open look plus more swimming space. Bottom line is what Charlie said...more volume = more stability.

Thanks for the replies everyone...I think I will keep the 90 seeing it is a more popular opinion. I'll just dump a little morre flow in there...

There is no legitamate reason to subject your inhabitants to the turmoil of relocation. Use the 75 as your sump/ refugium!

LOL! I don't have any fish yet or inverts...Still setting up(LOL)

With my 90 i have a 950 mag and 5 maxijet 1200 PHs circulating and i still want more flow. Flow = Good (IMO)

krish75 said:
I'm with you. I don't think 10,000 gph would be enough for me!(LOL)

My 110 has 10k gph and its almost perfect. Just get both tanks either way you'll have the right one.

Don

Thanks Don...That's funny you should say that because I was looking at your closed loop setup last night on your tanks thread and thought you must have really good flow in there. Thanks for taking the time out to reply...

krish75 said:
Thanks Don...That's funny you should say that because I was looking at your closed loop setup last night on your tanks thread and thought you must have really good flow in there. Thanks for taking the time out to reply...

But seriously, I'd prefer more space front to back.

Don

But seriously, I'd prefer more space front to back

Myself included and I wish I could go acrylic with atleast 24 front to back to do what I want, but I just had my stand and canopy rebuilt 3 months ago to fit anything 18in front to back and I know my wife isn't hearing me changing my stand and canopy again. So it's either the 75 or 90 for me...I definately won't go taller to the 110 which is 30in tall...

I'd stay with the 90 and just be creative with your aquascaping. Creat tall towers using acruylic rod and a drill to stack the rock up taller and put your SPS and other high light creatures from the middle up and the lower light guys down bottom. If you do this you can have great flow and a very open look plus more swimming space. Bottom line is what Charlie said...more volume = more stability

Check this out Reedman if you haven't seen it already. This is what I have setup so far and is exactlyy what you are talking about (all balanced though). I will be adding an additional 25-30lbs to it...The last picture on the this page is my latest.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10720&page=4

Looks good krish. My personal observation in my tank is that I should have gone higher on my rockwork. As long as you have free flowing water throughout the tank I think you'll be OK. Corals will grow toward the light (up) so you will fill the space above the rock.

The key is maintaining the flow in and around the rocks (to remove the detritus that they wil shed) and the corals (especially on SPS when they start to branch). I am now struggling to get enough flow to and around the corals now that they have grown in. I had no problem in the beginning.

Also, determine where your detritus piles up at (if it does) and note that for when you syphon the tank. You want to keep that bottom clean of all detritus so it doesn't have a chance to break down.

I think you have a really nice looking 'scape right now and adding a little more rock without cluttering the scene could only serve to benefit you. If you can't add it without it starting to create pockets of low flow I wouldn't add it at all. Just ensure your skimmer is clean and running smooth and the detritus is geting to it or removed with water changes.

Thanks for the compliment, info and reply Reed. The pile is completely centered in the tank so I have equal amounts of space infront of and behind the pile. I am a freak when it comes to cleaning (like I've mentioned many times before) so hopefully, I'll be good to go. That pile took me a total of 12 hours to set up between two different days(LOL) because it had to be just right and my plan is simply to just bridge them at the top (if I can) and take them up another level. As for flow now, I test with dropping fish flakes in and looking for dead spots. The flakes never come to a rest which is good, but they seem to circulate forever before getting to my overflow. So my main objective is getting anything in suspension to my prefilter so my skimmer can get a shot at it. I'll see how it goes...Thanks again for your input.

leave the 90gal. and set up the 75 as a refugium and plumb it in line with your sump......that way you have 165gal.. way more water...Jeff

Back