PH and outside air?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It's only been less than 2 weeks. Are you saying it's normal to see a PH rise of .2 for few weeks to months and then it will go back to what it was before?

Small changes are meaningless over the short term. It may just mean that the weather changed and your heater isnt comming on as much. In a year you will be able to judge if it worked or not. Let it ride through a winter when your house is closed up and your hibernating more.:) Mine rose all by itself over the last few weeks just due to the wether being nicer. It should peak at 8.5 in another few weeks when I shut down the heat all together for summer.

Don

I live in Memphis, Tn. We haven't used the heat at all in at least 6 weeks.

My PH didn't rise gradually over a period of days or weeks. I saw a difference in less than 2 hours after hooking up the skimmer airline to the 1/2in ID tubing to the outside.

In 9 months, the highest PH I have ever seen is 8.12. Within 24hours of using outside air, I saw 8.25. I guess I'm just delusional and have convinced myself I have seen an LCD reading which wasn't actually true.

I started this post asking others what their long term experience was with this. I wasn't advocating or telling others that it was a sure fire solution for everyone or anyone and I surely wouldn't tell anyone that because it didn't work for me or someone else I know then, it couldn't possibly be of much benefit.

Small changes are meaningless over the short term. It may just mean that the weather changed and your heater isnt comming on as much. In a year you will be able to judge if it worked or not. Let it ride through a winter when your house is closed up and your hibernating more.:) Mine rose all by itself over the last few weeks just due to the wether being nicer. It should peak at 8.5 in another few weeks when I shut down the heat all together for summer.

Don

After looking at a night time low PH of 7.88 for 9 months and within 24 hours, seeing a night time low of 8.08, I don't consider that a "small change" nor do I consider it a coincidence since it happened in such a short time frame(24hours). Also our heat is not gas and was out of use 4 weeks before this.

I am not implying that it definitely works but you sure are trying to imply that it does not work. Absolutes suck. Experimentation does not suck. Take your pick. Try it, don't try it.....I don't care. I was just looking for others experiences.

May be crazy guys but it is funny that I have been doing this outside air intake through a 1/2 vinyl line to the skimmer for about 3 weeks and with a Ca reactor running and depressing my ph I have had a daily increase from 7.89 to 8.08. This is with no daily changes for three weeks and measured on a calibrated ph meter. I am by no means an expert but I was told by Boomer a good year ago that outside air is something to consider especially in newer homes. You might want to search the WC forum because there has got to be some definitive studies that have been done. If not it sure would make for an interesting Masters project.

If we suck this air in and it reacts with our skimmer to blow the co2 from the tank into our home then we are still limited because the home is already at max. co2. Seems that maybe I would be better to run the central fresh air fan more often. In doing this, plus adding more surface airflow that may be a better bet.

Don't bother. Apparently it doesn't really do anything.

Instead of getting an attitude take a look at what your seeing and look at the numbers. I didnt say it doesnt do any thing but it doesnt do much for a co2 problem and of course will not hurt anything. In your case .1 or .2 with still reletivly low overall ph is not much and about all your going to see by pulling air in with the skimmer. If you were running heat in a closed up house with people indoors avoiding the weather I doubt you would even see what your seeing.
The origonal numbers were not bad to begin with nor were they a problem but the new numbers arent much better is all I'm getting at. Enough said.

Don

Back