Phosban reactor 150 question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefgirl78

Hi,

I have a Phosban reactor 150 that came with my tank 3 months ago and the media is very old so what media do I use to replace the old media with? Also I want the fastest results on the hairline that is starting to get out of control.

Then after the hairline is under control what should I put in for media?

Also I use the drops to control the phosphates right now but it has been doing very little.

Thanks,
Alison

i use the same as stuff Krish uses and so far it's working :) .

i'm sure it'll take care of your problem but if you get frustraded with the algae :p you can always brush your rock with a toothbrush or something similar :) .

Thanks guys!

So this is ok for the shrimp too! Kent marine said it was the only brand that was invert safe?

Thanks,
Alison

I have just switched from using Rowaphos to the Warner Marine media. Since it's only been a few days since the switch, I can't really speak of the phosphate removal capabilities. I can certainly say that it fluidizes much better than any other phosphate removing media I have used to date.

I was starting to get some bryopsis in my tank. A real PITA algae. I purchased some rowaphos as recommended by Don W. I did my normal weekly water change, manually removed all the algae and put some rowa in my reactor. It's been two weeks with no algae returning. I give rowa a big thumbs up.

FWIW
Brian

Hey Olsaltybastard-

Why did you switch from Rawpa? Was it due to it not working or what? I am tossed between Phospan and that?

Thanks,
Ali

Hey Olsaltybastard-

Why did you switch from Rawpa? Was it due to it not working or what? I am tossed between Phospan and that?

Thanks,
Ali

I have been using Rowaphos for quite some time now (about a year.) Though I have never had any issues with it's performance, the price is a bit on the high side and it is shipped wet. In other words, you are not getting a lot of usable product for it's weight and it costs twice as much as most others.

I have read about Warner Marine's Phosar on this site and a few others and figured that it's worth a try. As the saying goes, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." If it doesn't live up to my expectations, I can always go back to using Rowaphos. It will take a few months before I can really give you an honest opinion on the performance of Phosar. My initial opinion is that it fluidizes much better than Rowaphos or Phosban.

So this is ok for the shrimp too! Kent marine said it was the only brand that was invert safe?

I've used phosban for a few months now in my 150 - nor problems on inverts that I've noticed. I also haven't noticed a huge difference in my hair algae either though. You may do what gabby suggested and manually remove it and run the phosban.

Back