Photo period

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
I like to feed in the morning and play with the tank a little before work. I also like to see it when I'm home at night. That would put my halides on for 16+hrs a day. I'd like to stay away from adding vho's just to simplify the hood and wiring.
What is the ideal period for 3 x 250w halides in a 25" deep sps and clam tank?
I'm guessing there is a point of saturation, and negative results.
What other lighting can be use to light the tank in the morning and night without causing a algae problem?

Thanks
Don

Are you sure you don't want to put a pair of VHO (or T-5) Actinics in? For that Actinic-only look?

12 hours of light is about normal for tropical reefs.

You could spot a T5 on a timer before and after for the Actinics. My VHO's come on at 6 PM, MH on at 8 PM, off at 4 AM, & VHO's off at 6 Am.
This is ok because I'm up at 5 Am though.

dnjan said:
Are you sure you don't want to put a pair of VHO (or T-5) Actinics in? For that Actinic-only look?

Vho actinics blur my vision and screw with my equilibrium. I guess I should have mentioned that. I had to remove the ones I had.

Don

DonW said:
Vho actinics blur my vision and screw with my equilibrium. I guess I should have mentioned that. I had to remove the ones I had.

Don
I guess that is less painful than giving up drinking (which can also blur vision and screw up equilibrium) :)

Was it the Actinic? Or the VHO part (some people have problems with some flourescents). Were you using an electronic balast or a tar balast?

dnjan said:
I guess that is less painful than giving up drinking (which can also blur vision and screw up equilibrium) :)

Was it the Actinic? Or the VHO part (some people have problems with some flourescents). Were you using an electronic balast or a tar balast?

Vho in general. I tried Aro and Ice cap ballast. NO bulbs are no problem, I tried Hellio sp? NO / t-5's they did fine but would only last 2 months then burn out. I thought about other NO bulbs but dont want a algae bloom. I'd just use a household 75w bulb if I new for sure it wouldnt cause problems.

Don

Scooters got a good idea. I have 3 of the 3/4 watt moonlight leds and 1 of the 1 watt leds. Nice and bright and very cool effect. I also have a package of 420 nano meter 1 watt bulbs I got from a company. If you are interested in making your own moonlights I will post the website and instructions from another place. Steve

Thanks for the ideas. I came up with 4 50w/12v cluster leds and a 12v/850ma power supply.

Should work fine.

Don

That is an interesting option Don. I also get up early and would like to be able to see something in the tank early in the AM. Thanx for the idea. FWIW, I have my Halides on for 9hrs. maximum, but I also have vho actinic supplementation.

I will get a pic, tonight under the moonlights. I like what you did Don, I think if you havent seen the moon lights you will like what they do. If you have I will just post it to make me happy. LOL evil grin. LOL

Back