Picasso Clown-Natural Variant?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

biocube14

Do picasso clownfish occur naturally? Or were they like semi-picasso and they were bred to be full?

It's a mutation specifically bred in captive fish. I could be wrong, but I don't believe so.

I think those are natural. They are an A. Percula from the Soloman islands if the brief internet search I did is correct.
It's pretty interesting how the breeders have been able to market the mutations that once no one wanted. I remember seeing 'mis-bar' clown fish at a LFS for less than the normal variety 5 years ago. Now the bars are less or more or not at all and going for 3X the price.

Last edited:
hate to say it but if you look around on google you can find wild cought picasso,,, just google everything before someone give you miss infomation

Interesting. Links to the wild caught variety?
From what I understand, yes they can occur in the wild but are extremely rare (if you find wild caught that means they would be $$$$$$$$) and the characteristic disappears within a generation or 2. Here is what ORA says about them:
"In the ocean, genetic mutations or variations are a natural occurrence among all species. However, most mutations disappear over a couple of generations. At ORA™, our scientists have selectively bred for certain physical attributes that, had they occurred in the ocean, would have been bred out of the species. This selective breeding has yielded clownfish with fantastic, abstract bars or no bars at all. These unique and elaborate clownfish are only available from ORA™.
These "designer" fish give hobbyists the ability to have one-of-a-kind fish in their aquariums. By selectively breeding favorable physical characteristics into popular, aquacultured species, we can create more variety in the marketplace without depleting natural fish populations. Nature has already provided a template for the unique and beautiful fish you see here."

Nothing wrong with them. Just like cats' dogs,and plants we are genetically engineering/breeding what works for us.

Interesting. Links to the wild caught variety?
From what I understand, yes they can occur in the wild but are extremely rare (if you find wild caught that means they would be $$$$$$$$) and the characteristic disappears within a generation or 2. Here is what ORA says about them:

Nothing wrong with them. Just like cats' dogs,and plants we are genetically engineering/breeding what works for us.

Playing God is wrong. next thing you now, people will be ok with cloneing.

These things happen everyday. Our food are genetically engineered to grow faster and bigger. 90% of the pure bred dogs and cats never existed 100 years ago. Breeds were perfected through selective breeding.

"Specialty Clownfish" are not created by "playing God." Specific fish, with specific markings are bred to one another, to get a desired effect. Even then, the majority of the spawn are normal, while a few of the spawn exhibit "different" markings.

This is no different that breeding 2 German Shepherds with favorable traits, to produce pups with favorable traits. No genetic altering is used, other than picking 2 specimens with naturally occurring strong characteristics.

I would tend to agree with you Cross, but this is about fish and not human cloning :)
What ORA and other breeders are doing is marketing ($$$) a mutation that is rarely seen and would otherwise be lost in nature and potentialy no longer occur. Like the other comments, it's not any different than how we selectively have bred dogs, cats, plants that would not other wise be 'natural'. My only real problem with it is the price and honestly I don't think they are really all that attractive. But beauty in this case is in the eye of the beholder so, so be it. If you like them buy them.

I would tend to agree with you Cross, but this is about fish and not human cloning :)
What ORA and other breeders are doing is marketing ($$$) a mutation that is rarely seen and would otherwise be lost in nature and potentialy no longer occur. Like the other comments, it's not any different than how we selectively have bred dogs, cats, plants that would not other wise be 'natural'. My only real problem with it is the price and honestly I don't think they are really all that attractive. But beauty in this case is in the eye of the beholder so, so be it. If you like them buy them.

maybe if someone is asking a question about something,, and you dont like the way it looks or its price, you should not say anything ,,, it happens in the wild! ppl breed them,, ppl like them,, some dont and they dont buy them, i have pure bred pits,, ppl dont like them,,, some do,,, like me and others but im not going to say some ones pug is not a natural thing,, just cuz all dogs where wolfs at one point and ppl changed the way they look throw breeding,, dosent mean there not a real dog,, opinions are not facts and thats what your saying ,,, maybe dogs, cats horses, foods and many other things are not real or natural cuz ppl change them. have your ever seen a albino deer? so freaks do happen in nature,,

No need to take it personal CS. Like I said "beauty in this case is in the eye of the beholder so, so be it. If you like them buy them."
I'm not criticisizing you or anyone else that likes them or wants them. If you like them good for you, buy them and enjoy.:)

you got me all wrong im not baggin on anyone,, or attacking anyone,, sorry you took it the wrong way,, sorry,, but the fact of the matter is theyre are wild picasso,

you got me all wrong im not baggin on anyone,, or attacking anyone,, sorry you took it the wrong way,, sorry,, but the fact of the matter is theyre are wild picasso,

Could have fooled me... I think everyone here acknowledges that the possibility of the mutation happening in the wild is there, it's just rare and not necessarily widely known information.

hate to say it but if you look around on google you can find wild cought picasso,,, just google everything before someone give you miss infomation

yes because everything we read on the internet is true. are they wild caught, doubtful but entirely possible. its just like albinism, do you find it in the wild sure, just rarely. remember its all just genes, albeit in this case 2recessive genes (from my understanding). i'm not doubting they could be wild caught again i just can't imagine a sustainable population for hobby collection.

cross, i agree that man needs to stop playing god. the problem is we can't, there is still this drive to procreate and everytime we do, we are playing god.

i don't have a problem with cloning, i could use a vacation.

Do picasso clownfish occur naturally? Or were they like semi-picasso and they were bred to be full?

The Picasso Clownfish came about as selective breeding of wildcaught clowns with highly irregular body markings.

The male parent of ORA's Picasso's was wild caught. It can be seen in two separate pictures:

Here on ORA's website...its the left clown in the picture.

And here near the bottom of page one. From what I've gathered, the term "Picasso" came about when a member of another board posted pics up of the male, and another poster remarked that it reminded him/her of a Picasso painting. The term stuck, and ORA began marketing the clowns under that name.

The misbars and unusual markings of fish occur naturally in the wild.

Take a look at the slide show here:

http://www.crownfish.jp/ (click go slide button)
All of these fish are Queen Angels. The Queen angelfish population of St Pauls Rocks has some very interesting Koi colored morphs.

Look at the variations of patterns on these Regal Angelfish
http://www.fishbase.org/photos/thumbnailssummary.php?ID=6572

Nick

Back