plague of mushrooms

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

evansbr

Hi Anthony,
I'm looking to thin out my mushroom population. they seem to spread almost as bad as aptasia. they grow on about everything. Is there a predator that will selectively target them? I have softies, lps, sps, ect. or should I pick them off one at a time?? Thanks!!!!!

I heard injecting them with calcium will do it to. I have the same problem too but can't bring myself to do it.

kalk paste... same as aptasias... i curse the day i ever put red shrooms into my mixed reef tank, especially now that it is an sps only tank and im still trying to get rid of the red shrooms :mad:

I agree totally... WARNING TO EVERYONE ELSE JUST STARTING OUT...
be careful what you put in your tank, someday you might want it out...
I was hoping something would eat them, like peppermints and aptasia,
Its a 210 gallon and I have thousands of the #%@#$ things..
I'd rather deal with aptasia.

Bump...

I don't have tons of 'shrooms, but a couple are starting to wander away from where I want them. I know injecting them with kalk slurry will do the job, but what would happen if I just cut them with an exacto right at the base above the "foot"? Would it just grow back?

If you fire some direct flow from something like an MJ400 or 600 directly on them, they often will release because they are unhappy and then you can scoop them up and remove.

I had a ton of them but then upped one of my powerheads just to improve flow and within 10 minutes about a dozen were floating looking to re-locate. I took them out rather than let them do this and it helped my population control.

Kinda what I figured reeferdude. If nothing else, it'd be a temporary pruning job.

Thanks for the idea mseepman (and welcome aboard!) - I knew they'd release over time but didn't realize they'd do it so quick. The one or two that are "playing out of bounds" are pretty close to the rest, so maybe I'll just hook up some tubing to a maxijet and just put the tube outlet right on top of the offending party and stand there and wait.

just a little FYI,

if you go killing thousands of shrooms or even any large amount of them in your tank you will cause a major amonia spike and quite possibly crash your tank. your best bet is to slowley work them out of your tank.
a good way to do this is (if possible) take a rock out of your tank and cut all the shrooms of at the base (leave as little tissue as possible) and then cover the rest with thick kalk paste. the rest will then cease to grow and die off. next week do another rock untill your infestation is cured!

matt

You can pretty much inject any type of mushroom or aptasia with kalk in the mouth it should take care of it. Anthony calfo is on PMASI website and he is actually looking to buy aptasia or even trade other rock without it for something hes propagation.

I agree totally... WARNING TO EVERYONE ELSE JUST STARTING OUT...
be careful what you put in your tank, someday you might want it out...
I was hoping something would eat them, like peppermints and aptasia,
Its a 210 gallon and I have thousands of the #%@#$ things..
I'd rather deal with aptasia.

I agree watch what you put in, the frist thing I got was a 6" by 6"rock with purple shrooms becouse the wife liked them a now (and I've move the rock 3 different places in my tank) I have about a hunderd in a 34 gal.but I got rid of the 6" rock (to bad there every where now).

i love mushrooms i really hope my shrooms spread fast like that:)

anyways dont kill the shrooms maybe just cut it out sell and donate and then like what matt125 said,cover with kalk paste so it wont regrow:)

Back